API Changes

Added Class Highlight : Instance
	Added Property Enum.HighlightDepthMode Highlight.DepthMode
	Added Property bool Highlight.Enabled
	Added Property Color3 Highlight.FillColor
	Added Property float Highlight.FillTransparency
	Added Property Color3 Highlight.OutlineColor
	Added Property float Highlight.OutlineTransparency

Added Class TemporaryCageMeshProvider : Instance [NotCreatable] [Service] [NotReplicated]

Added Class VoiceChatInternal : Instance [NotCreatable] [Service]
	Forking from Class VoiceChatService

Added Property Enum.LoadCharacterLayeredClothing StarterPlayer.LoadCharacterLayeredClothing [NotReplicated] [NotScriptable]
Added Property bool Studio.Enable Scrollbar Markers {RobloxScriptSecurity}

Added Function int64 AssetManagerService:GetMeshIdFromAliasName(string aliasName) {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function int64 AssetManagerService:GetMeshIdFromAssetId(int64 assetId) {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function int64 AssetManagerService:GetTextureIdFromAliasName(string aliasName) {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function int64 AssetManagerService:GetTextureIdFromAssetId(int64 assetId) {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function bool BaseWrap:IsHSRReady() {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function int DebuggerConnection:EvaluateWatch(string expression, StackFrame frame, Function callback) {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function void DockWidgetPluginGui:RequestRaise() {RobloxScriptSecurity}
Added Function void VirtualInputManager:WaitForInputEventsProcessed() {RobloxScriptSecurity} [Yields]

Added Event GamepadService.GamepadThumbstick1Changed(Vector2 event) {RobloxScriptSecurity}

Added Enum HighlightDepthMode
	Added EnumItem HighlightDepthMode.AlwaysOnTop : 0
	Added EnumItem HighlightDepthMode.Default : 1

Changed the parameters of Function BasePart:CanCollideWith 
	  to: (BasePart part)

Removed Class NewVoiceChatService

Removed Property BasePart.MaterialVariant
Removed Property StarterPlayer.LoadCharacterLayeredClothing
Removed Property VoiceChatService.VoiceChatState

Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetAndClearCallFailureMessage
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetAudioProcessingSettings
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetGroupId
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetMicDevices
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetParticipants
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetSpeakerDevices
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetVoiceChatApiVersion
Removed Function VoiceChatService:GetVoiceChatAvailable
Removed Function VoiceChatService:IsContextVoiceEnabled
Removed Function VoiceChatService:IsPublishPaused
Removed Function VoiceChatService:IsSubscribePaused
Removed Function VoiceChatService:JoinByGroupId
Removed Function VoiceChatService:JoinByGroupIdToken
Removed Function VoiceChatService:Leave
Removed Function VoiceChatService:PublishPause
Removed Function VoiceChatService:SetMicDevice
Removed Function VoiceChatService:SetSpeakerDevice
Removed Function VoiceChatService:SubscribePause
Removed Function VoiceChatService:SubscribePauseAll

Removed Event VoiceChatService.ParticipantsStateChanged
Removed Event VoiceChatService.PlayerMicActivitySignalChange
Removed Event VoiceChatService.StateChanged

Removed Tag [NotCreatable] from Class VoiceChatService

(Click here for a syntax highlighted version!)

29 Likes

Party at version 500? :slight_smile:

It’s nice to see VR getting some attention even if small, thanks. Are there any plans for other VR QoL changes, or is this just a one-off change for now?

32 Likes

if this means what I think it does it’ll make my life so much easier!

50 Likes

I think everyone who has had this happen to them knows exactly what this means. We can finally reposition the HumanoidRootPart!

4 Likes

Excuse me? Does this mean we are getting proper handling for outlining parts? Borderlands???

24 Likes

Yes, I was just about to say too that it sounds like we’re finally getting model outlines

It has been a feature under investigation on the 2021 Roadmap, so I’m very excited to see it arriving soon.

16 Likes

If this means we’re getting a Linux client for Valve Index…

6 Likes

Most likely isn’t, but I would love to see someone try the Valve Index under WINE.
The Valve Index’s controllers were really bad for a while to the point where it was unplayable in a lot of experiences.

3 Likes

Outlines and not nuking Motor6Ds with the studio tools… two HUGE updates coming with his version! :grinning:

4 Likes

Oh, he commin’ all right! (change is enabled now)

WIDETNAVARTS

Implementing full on Borderlands outlines on everything likely won’t be possible because there will be a limit on the number of distinct outlined groups of things in order to keep the performance cost low.

This will have a lot of cool implications and uses though:

50 Likes

Are Rōblox delegating most of their voice chat stuff to C++ now? I’ve taken a look through the CoreScripts and a lot of the code is germane to that feature.

4 Likes

I’ve been complaining about this since I can remember Motor6Ds. What a great QoL update!

4 Likes

when is this coming out? currently doesnt work in studio.

1 Like

Thank you guys a ton for making progress on VR support! Here’s hoping that this is the start of further investment in fixing the myriad game breaking issues plaguing VR support on Roblox that have gone unfixed for years :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

IIRC, a roblox engineer said the API wasn’t meant to be “public” due to voice chat still being experimental. I’ve seen it come in and out over the past few releases. I’m hoping there will still be an API in the future for channels so we can have something like a air traffic radio in pilot games.

2 Likes

Not for a while yet.

Don’t take the additions and removals of these prototype voice chat APIs as anything other than the Voice Chat team working hard to develop an API for the feature to the point where it’s ready for public consumption. It’s a very complex feature, and one we need to be able to do more testing of in live environments than usual which is why you’re seeing these APIs come and go in the API dump.

9 Likes

Are there any plans to enable smooth scrolling in Roblox Studio? I’ve seen it in some release notes way back. Would be a great addition.

2 Likes

nice

This is very nice. Update 495 ended up breaking the Index controllers (at least for me) where each A button and it’s respective grip both mapped to L1 and R1. I’ve been very anxious to test new mechanics in my game in VR, but haven’t been able to because of that. Thank you very much for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing! :confetti_ball: I’ve been experiencing this issue for awhile, and it’s slowed down my workflow! This patch does relate with Team-Create, correct? (or is that another bug)?

2 Likes