Roblox VR - UI Update

Hi Developers!

We are happy to announce that with Build 545, VR has significantly improved on Roblox.

The focus of this release was to better the interaction with the UI as well as improved compatibility with other experiences. For that reason, we introduce a new, VR-specific menu in the form of the BottomBar.

ezgif-2-fda3bddedc

Other changes include:

• Updated how the PlayerGUI is rendered in VR and how it follows the headset movements.

• Collapsable UI for improved immersion in VR

• Aim-through wand controls - With improved compatibility and a context-sensitive laser pointer, you can control Roblox experiences through the player GUI.

• VR menus - Chat, inventory, leaderboard, and emotes now work in VR

• Fixed bugs with existing interactivity APIs.

Known Issues

We are aware of the following issues and are working on a fix. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

• The BottomBar menu will sometimes not show up in experiences with custom-scripted camera behavior.
  • Camera.Headscale will not work well with the BottomBar and wand controls
  • Due to an unrelated bug, SteamVR currently only loads correctly through the Windows Desktop App.

We would love to hear your feedback on the changes above and any suggestions going forward.

Thank you.

191 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

When will we be able to restrict experiences to VR only?

Something like this:

101 Likes

I second this. We really need an option to restrict VR Games.

20 Likes

This is brilliant news. I’m hoping that Roblox will now detect when certain buttons on the controllers are pressed, as I am unable to bring up the menu on my Quest 2 when using Virtual Desktop.

7 Likes

An improvement awaited by many of us! Thanks for the update.

3 Likes

This actually existed for a while, but a regression occurred as it was removed.

3 Likes

The icons on the bar looks so random and out of place when you put all of them together.

Can’t you guys just stick to one design?

5 Likes

You can probably do it via a script for now.

local UIS = game:GetService("UserInputService")

if not UIS.VREnabled then
	game.Players.LocalPlayer:Kick("Sorry, you have to be in VR mode to join this game. Connect your headset and try again.")
end
12 Likes

It seems like the Studio UI changed with this update for me
DockWidgetPluginGUI’s are easier to move around and take up less space
Cool!

I’m using mac osx roblox studio, don’t know if that changes anything

7 Likes

After the bottom bar update my vr headset started lagging a lot more while playing The Open Space [VOICE CHAT] - Roblox but it works fine in other vr games like [RIOT] social experiment - Roblox . I am using the Vive if that helps.

5 Likes

Well but even if it gets bypassed, what can the non-VR users really do? I mean the only reason I could imagine a developer removing access to non-VR players would be if the game wouldn’t be compatibile without a VR Headset. So if players would bypass and join VR games without VR they couldn’t play.

5 Likes

You do not understand my original point, how come a server knows whether you actually have a VR headset or not? It needs to trust you

2 Likes

That’s not the point of the feature :person_facepalming:

I don’t understand what you’re saying? What does this have to do with a feature that restricts a game to VR Devices only.

3 Likes

I second this, the bottom Sidebar is Dark Mode, but the side one is light? What’s going on, pick one!

4 Likes

Amazing update, I have been waiting for this forever! The only work around previously was to make your own UI and slap it on a head-tracking billboardGui.

3 Likes

See the points made in this feature request:

The feature was implemented before which is why is was marked as solved, but was removed for an unknown reason.

3 Likes

FINALLY! So glad to see an update at last. :smile:

Haven’t had the chance to try it yet but does this include a mute/unmute button for voice chat? Enabling/disabling it in VR is literally impossible, which sucks because both VR and VC are immersive features and they seemingly cant even be combined due to that.

3 Likes

And yet there’s no explanation for why I get 38-50 FPS when using VR despite having the RTX 3090.

3 Likes

After this update studio has gotten a bit slower while I’m editing
Using the script editor especially

I’m running it on mac-osx

3 Likes