Souls-like RPG Game Devlog #5 - Combat Test, Feedback needed!

Hello guys, I am XYXTENTAC1ON and I am here to show you the game that I’ve been working on for the past year now!

Check out my last devlogs here!:

Souls-like RPG Game Devlog #4
Souls-like RPG Game Devlog #3
Souls-like RPG Game Devlog #2
Souls-like RPG Game Devlog #1

(name is not final)

Try it out here! PROJECT ANGELICA COMBAT TEST - Roblox

Leaving feedback is essential, any kind will help!

Discord server here! PROJECT ANGELICA

I will be releasing a open combat test for people to give feedback on. Yes, that means you get to try the game as long as you provide feedback and share with your friends.

So, how does combat work?

Press “M” for controls in game.
You have 3 stances in the game. Light, Heavy and Weapon Art.
Basically 3 forms of attack. You can change your stance using ‘Q’.
You can lock on using ‘G’ and switch target using 'G". Unlock using ‘R’.
Press I and go to “Gear” To change your weapons ect.

You can fight your friends in the arena if you kill the mini boss that’s there.

Everything you see is subject to change. I would really like feedback on some things.

A lot of the attacks are unfinished. The longsword’s Heavy and WeaponArt will change. I currently only have a couple of weapons in the game. The armor does nothing for your stats but it will in the future. The stats also do nothing.

The lock on system is a bit clumsy. You cant lock on to other players.
The game is laggy on the highest graphic level.
Everything is a bit jerky and could be smoother.
You cannot remove armor completely.
Some attacks need better animations and balancing.

You can try the combat out here! PROJECT ANGELICA COMBAT TEST - Roblox

The game will go private again soon. Thank you. Let me know how you feel down below or in the discord server! You can also DM me on discord or message me on Roblox or here on DevFourm! All my contacts are open!

Here are some sceenshots for the game:

9 Likes

pretty cool idea, but I got softlocked for a bit in the very start until I figured out how to roll.

Kinda just feels like the world was built for smaller characters. I find myself getting often stuck on vines hanging over doorframes, which shouldn’t be an obstacle. I didn’t end up really geting far into the game, I quit really early due to a cave being too dark(probably because of my low brightness settings on my monitor, but I wasn’t bothered enough to higher them just to play). A torch would be a nice addition.
Anyways, I just kinda feel like the world was built around me, not to fit me.
really the only way i can put it tbh

1 Like

Thank you very much! I tried to fix the spawn location a bit. I only got this bug once myself but it should be good now. I also always have my monitors on the highest brightness so i didnt notice it was so dark inside that cave. I know exactly the part you’re talking about.

I added some torches there! See if you can get through it now.

Thanks for adding torches. I got past the area, but just left out of boredom.
the idea of the game and everything is cool, but in the game’s current state it’s just missing anything that would compel me to continue playing.

This is a combat test of the game. This is definetly not the full version. This is a test to make sure people are happy with the core gameplay, thats why its a “Combat Test”. Its only for checking the fighting mechanics and making sure they work!

The game will have a full singleplayer storyline with co-op and multiplayer pvp added afterwards.

alright hope to see the game completed soon!

Thank you! I appreciate you trying it out!

very cool start… I would simplify the combat system tho. Maybe just go for the demon souls 2 attacks no stances style - just because it’ll be easier to polish and balance with fewer variables…
Other problem with souls is its kinda hard to get all the keys settled nicely on a keyboard…
When i played souls on PC i found the best control setup was.
Left click right hand weak attack
Right click right hand strong attack
mouse 3 lock-on toggle
left shift left hand weak attack
left ctrl left hand strong attack
Space Run jump dodge
q,e swap between locked on targets
arrowkeys - item menu gui thing in the bottom left corner
i,o menu’s etc…
Graphics are very nice but defiantly need some optimization.
Level design probs needs some work… Basically i think just make things bigger and more epic…#
Anyways really cool start keep it up :smiley:

I was thinking about simplification, but i wasnt sure in the end. I did want to somehow make it different from Dark Souls 1 but i think i can do this through design rather than more content. And you’re right, it would be more polished with less variables to work with. I’ll think about that.

I will definetly include controller support later on, its just annoying to test with a controller, honestly.

Ill see about changing the controls too.

Yeah the Graphics and world are unoptimized but I’ve thought of a simple system to Load in and Load out certain parts of the world. There are a lot of assets in the world that you cant see in the test, thats why its a bit laggy. But this will be sorted too.

Things are definetly going to get more epic, i just dont want to use all my tricks in the first part of the game you know. There’s a reason Anar Londo was so amazing the first time you ever got there.

Thank you for your feedback i really appreciate this. I have been thinking about reducing scope to make it more managable but I never really wanted myself to cut back because i want it to be awesome. But i’d rather it be polished. So I’ll review it! Thank you!

1 Like