"This game may not function as intended" warning appearing on newly created games

When creating a new game and going to the start place, the old warning for experimental mode games that weren’t updated after forced-FE appears.

I’ve been able to repro this 100% of the time.

To do this, simply make a new game and head to the start place’s page without editing the game. I’ve only tested this on the default Baseplate, and not any other templates.

Screenshot above is at sPACE - Roblox.

edit: Opening the game in studio and publishing it seems to get rid of this warning, leading me to believe that newly-created games act as though they’re made as experimental mode, which is impossible,

25 Likes

I can reproduce this bug. Playing the game once removes the warning. Definitely shouldn’t be appearing on newly created places that were created after experimental mode was removed.

8 Likes

It defaulting to false might just be a leftover from when experimental mode was still a thing. Live game servers tell Roblox whether the value of FilteringEnabled is set to true or false, and this determines the visibility of that message. It doesn’t impact whether a game is available to be played, and the networking behaves like FilteringEnabled is set to true regardless of its value.

5 Likes

The message is displayed when the root place is believed to be not filtering enabled. In order for the place to be registered as filtering enabled, the place must be visited. After the first visit, the message will no longer appear. This was a trade off that we made in order to get the message displayed to users before they join the game.

40 Likes

That seems like a silly system since experimental mode is gone and FilteringEnabled is now forced on all games. Why would Roblox believe the root place does not have FilteringEnabled when it is forced on all games? Seems to me that the message should have been removed when experimental mode was and that all future games should be automatically registered as having FilteringEnabled.

5 Likes

So that old games with FilteringEnabled set to false are labeled with the “needs to be updated by the developer” notice?

6 Likes

Alright, fair point about not removing the message entirely. However it still doesn’t make sense not to automatically register new places as FilteringEnabled.

8 Likes

Yeah I agree. Like I said, it’s probably just a leftover.

7 Likes

This issue still seems to be prevalent in my game, Redshift Arena.

I’ve made a thread relating to it, but I’ve yet to receive any response on it.

Basically, any newly created place in a universe will instantly make that place non-compatible with crossplatforming, and it seems to fix it self once the place is no longer marked as “ExperimentalMode.”

My game has almost 30 places in it, so going through each place just to fix that problem is tedious.

6 Likes

This doesn’t work for me, my game already got over 100 visits as we are currently testing the game, but we still got this message appearing under our game title. Is there any other way to solve this problem?

3 Likes

I have a game I recently released that has about 100-300 active players at all times, as well as another project recently released (which has been visited). The warning still appears.

Yes, the website sees the root place as not respecting filtering enabled, but that’s why this is reported as a bug. This is an issue by creating a poor impression on new players.

5 Likes

This happens to me too. Usually it only goes away when I update it.

3 Likes

I am experiencing a bug where the game was just made, the owner of the group just played each one of the games inside the group, and for whatever reason, it still is giving me the " This game may not function as intended. The developer needs to update the game." Note

I am unsure what to do and I’m planning for launch shortly, any help would be great!

7 Likes

I’m having this same issue regardless if I update it or get multiple players I got 100 visits on a game to test this and the message never went away also updated the game 13 times and waited a few days to see.

7 Likes

Yeah, I made a post on Twitter regarding it and a ton of people are also having this issue.

4 Likes

My newly created game is facing the same problem despite me updating it. Roblox needs to fix this if this is a website bug.

6 Likes

I am experiencing the bug, my game was updated and received visits, but it still shows this message.

4 Likes

This weird bug happens to me too while the FilteringEnabled in my game is enabled and the place has been visited multiple times.

1 Like

@Roros_World @p0s_0 @SurpriseInventor @GamerOkami
You should edit your posts with game links where this happens. “this happens to me too” without extra details doesn’t help whatever engineer is reviewing this topic to resolve the issue.

5 Likes

Close out any studios you have open and then play the game, then leave the game. Edit the game in studio (but you do not have to do anything just open and close) and then refresh your game page and it should be removed.

3 Likes