[Update] Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

What do you mean by the 2000 upload limit? Is it with decals, gamepasses, etc?

1 Like

Its not worth going silent for, as they will think it is no longer an issue.

3 Likes

Well, time to go back in time to Midi Player 10:

this thing still runs on a 2010 client i think because they put compatibility stuff in

2 Likes

I keep coming back here to read the replies on this and I can’t stop laughing at how uninformed everyone is as to how any megacorporation works.

Y’all should read the FAQ on this post.

We all know Roblox got sued. So please stop rushing them to comply with the law. Would you rather have no audio or no Roblox?

4 Likes

You really don’t want me answering that question, lol.

4 Likes

It seems audio categories have arrived on the dashboard, but it is extremely laggy on my device.

Edit: A bug report has been made regarding the lag: Massive downfall of performance in Audio - Creator Marketplace

4 Likes

I’ve come across a few interesting replies to this coming back to this post 1 year later, so I thought I’d reply to some of them:

:broken_heart: I remember this blog post. Yet the group system is the exact same as it has been since the introduction, except with a redesigned configure page. Really sucks. We only, this year, got a roadmap listing for Open Cloud APIs for groups as well, slated to release in “Mid 2023”, which is the only actual feature update groups have gotten since then. The terrible group permission system remains, however, they actually had a solution of sorts for group/user games. This isn’t actually widely known, so I’ve included some details below, collapsed to not make this post super long, for any interested, it does get quite interesting.

The new game permissions system beta of 2019, before it was downgraded & how it worked with groups/user games and a additional permission level

This feature exists in Roblox today, but they made the feature a lot more useless. In brief detail, in 2019 they had a beta feature back when you had to be on the beta user list to access studio beta features, that improved game permissions a lot. Instead of just, “no access” or “access”, it added the “Play”, “Edit”, “No Access” (if a group game), and “Manage”, and permissions, the beginning three of which we’re all familiar with today. Play, meant if the game was private, they could only play the game. Edit meant you could only go into Team Create. Then there was Manage, the one that is missing today, it allowed you to access and edit the game’s full details (such as analytics, place details like gamepasses/badges, etc.) and grant other users Play and Edit. This was actually amazing already, but even better, group/players could add other group roles (outside the group if a group game)/players with play/edit permissions.

However, for some fantastic reason, even though the feature already existed, they decided to downgrade it heavily right before leaving beta. The manage permission was completely removed, which meant the only way to manage a game now, was only if it was a group game, and only if they had the permission granting them access to all of the group games. They also decided that adding outside groups was too good, this was completely removed from group games, but with user games, you could grant a group-role play access, however, you couldn’t grant Edit permissions anymore. Originally, they also completely removed the ability to add individual accounts to any group game without using a group role as well, however, this was later shortly re-introduced to only allow granting Play permissions, after some people were asking for it. There is no longer a way to add a certain user, inside the group or not, to have access to a certain game, they have to be assigned a role.

This is extremely annoying, to this today, especially with the fact we literally almost had a completely usable system. The whole permissions system within groups, games, or other assets such as models, is terrible. They have told us more recently, after the oof sound stuff, that there would be a new permission system and marketplace for assets. That obviously, still hasn’t happened, but more recently they added “Asset Privacy and Permissions” to the roadmap slated to come out in 2024. I’m hopeful this will reintroduce some of the original features of the game permissions and add similar permissions to models and such, but I have a feeling it will have similar restrictions, at least with the user/outside groups problem. I will surely be detailing a lot of these same things there as well if these still exist, whenever the announcement thread for that comes out.

But, with that in mind, I don’t think Roblox hasn’t abandoned this like the others, they’ve been pretty clear in the little they do communicate, that music licensing is a “multi-year project”, such as in various feature requests. We are starting to get listings related to this on the official roadmap with releases slated into Late 2024, so I think this is really a waiting game, which is kind of disappointing. I wish they would communicate about these kinds of blockers far better, but they rarely mention it, most certainly not a whole announcement for it.

This is a seriously annoying problem for people who aren’t using a single experience/universe, having to grant audio to different branches of the game is quite annoying. For me, I ended up just making my CI grant all the audio before publishing it to the place if not already granted. This isn’t supported through Open Cloud Asset APIs either, I have to do it through a bot account.

For what it’s worth, this change that was implemented a month or so after the audio update without any documentation change is also annoying (seemingly still yet so to this day) to this day. Just because I want a game to have audio that works with, for example, a model I made, I am required to have edit permissions whenever I want to whitelist audio. I’m guessing this was probably done because of the whole boombox with a private audio thing, but this seems like a poor blanket solution. Couldn’t known developers have this ability then, as we do with uploading 2000 audios per month?

As ridiculous as this sounds, if any music gets flagged within their system, which usually means it was protected by an author somewhere along the lines, they’re support team can’t validate licenses. I’m sure this is one of the main core issues that they’re going to resolve before the audios are ever public again, but this is just annoying. It doesn’t matter whether it is a license that applies to everyone or you just bought a license, if it’s correctly flagged, you aren’t uploading it.
Long ago, when this system was first introduced back in 2018, anyone used to be able to email DevRel we had a genuine license, who would work to resolve it and get it unflagged, however, DevRel seems to have stopped doing this upon request, and that email doesn’t seem to exist to the public anymore either. I really don’t understand why they can’t provide something like this again to the public, or at least most developers (2000 audio limit would be a fair baseline I think) until a proper licensing system is in place.

This is actually what I’m annoyed about most, it’s not even just custom royalty-free licenses like NCS’s, even certain Creative Commons music is getting flagged, such as Kevin Macleod’s music.

In briefly addressing the majority of other replies, still mostly complaining about the audios being private, once again, this is most certainly the result of the NMPA lawsuit settlement. Admittedly, I don’t understand how it’s taking this long to a usable music licensing platform within Roblox, but that’s how it is right now. I wish they would communicate more clearly about it, but I also understand why they wouldn’t want to touch much on legal features way before release. But, they haven’t even been too communicative about release dates publically, which I would’ve liked to see. They aren’t going to make audios public ever until they have a proper licensing system, otherwise, they’d be going against their settlement.

4 Likes

Roblox has actually recently stated in a different thread that supporting license validations may take multiple years, despite the mention of “asset privacy and sharing for all types” being on the roadmap for 2024.

I don’t understand why this hasn’t been clarified more, especially if this is going to be the “normal” workflow for quite a while.

2 Likes

While I may not be an expert in developing or using audios, I have an idea on how copyrighted content could be allowed on Roblox without Roblox getting sued. Granted, this idea may not be perfect and may be fundamentally flawed, but it could get us back our ability to use audios properly.

What if Roblox signed a deal with a record label or artist to use/distribute their music on the platform? We wouldn’t have to worry about the system detecting copyrighted material if the material is already on the platform by official means.

So the way this system would work is that the artist/label can upload a copyrighted audio, such as a song, but the ability to use this audio would be restricted unless you paid a certain amount of Robux. If you tried to access this audio for use in your experience, a warning message would pop up telling you you aren’t authorized to use the asset.

With this system, not only would there be a safe way to get around the copyright disputes, but it would be easier to moderate what gets uploaded as the moderators can check to see if the audio being uploaded is just a reupload of already uploaded material on the platform.

While I’m not saying this method would be perfect, I think this could be effective in preventing copyrighted audio from being uploaded, and we can likely use audios in our games again.

3 Likes

Can we at least have public 6 second or lower audio once again in the meantime? Why did they let existing audio like that persist, but then refuse for us to upload anymore. I get its a copyright issue because of music, but are sound effects really that harmful to stop uploads of them too?

2 Likes

This is most likely a case of “one bad apple spoils the bunch” here. Because of a few people uploading copyrighted material, we can’t upload public audio, regardless if it’s longer than six seconds, without the filter recieving a false positive for copyright.

I’d like to think that Roblox making a deal with the record labels/artists can solve the problem with the six-second audios because they’re mostly just sound effects/random audios.

1 Like

89% of the 46 voters have had enough

1 Like

Hurry up roblox it’s been days and one year since this audio update came out. Now we cannot public our audio after these days? like srsly come on. HURRY UP. :rage:

It’s a bad practice to take action when it’s too late with band-aid fixes instead of preventing the problem.
UGC creation highlights yet again the problem with Roblox’s approach on copyrighted content, not preventing it in the first place is gonna lead to yet another big hit, like the audio update.

The platform can’t live off the delayed response from third parties threatening legal action, it needs to be self regulated.

The problem with audios originates from years and years of not taking action, leading the community down a vicious spiral, and since it’s a community of young people, it’s not gonna go well.
Another example would be games like Brick Bronze, or even unrelated events like the Filtering Enabled update, both were caused by either legal pressure or big scandals, despite both being very dangerous for Roblox as a platform.

5 Likes

You know, I’m getting a little bit better at scripting

1 Like

Way too funny that this is the 2nd RDC in a row with cricket noises about public audio. They announced a feature that mixes audio streams together but what’s the point if all the available audio on the marketplace is useless? This has gotten beyond ridiculous.

7 Likes

they think they can ignore it and we will forget.

This has been beyond ridiculous, this update is stupid. just plain BAD.

Have you had enough of this change with audio?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

2 Likes

I wanted to revisit this post because I was curious if any notable updates had been made regarding audio privacy settings.

It seems like a lot of developers are more upset that a feature was taken away instead of understanding that it shouldn’t have been a feature in the first place. It’s easy to compare this to UGC, which has been brought up multiple times in this thread, but UGC is an entirely separate issue that warrants its own thread.

My main concern isn’t even making audio public; I understand that it sounds appealing to the vast majority of users, but game developers should be designing their own audios in the first place, or using non-copyrighted material.

To the few in this thread who have had issues uploading these due to improper copyright detection, that’s a shame, and that problem certainly needs more attention. It isn’t just a small issue that developers should find a workaround for, and it isn’t something developers should be waiting until Q4 2024 to be able to do without issue. It interrupts workflow and is literally never an issue on other game engines. You can make the argument that Roblox is an exception because of how unique it is, but that doesn’t excuse it from supplying the basic necessities game developers should have, especially considering how massive Roblox has grown in the past decade.

Regardless, my only request is for Roblox to make user-made audio applicable to privately-owned games by default without having to enter the game’s ID into their configuration. I definitely get why this is a feature in group-owned games or games with collaboration enabled, but it interrupts workflow pretty frequently when I have to copy and paste my game ID into a configuration page for every single audio I upload.

This is a little annoying because no one can access my game but me, so there is quite literally not a singular reason I can think of for me to have to approve each and every audio. The moment I attempt to enable collaboration with other developers, Roblox could easily give a warning message saying “You have private audio in this experience!” with a list of audio IDs that fit the criteria.

I understand this issue is pretty specific because the majority of developers work in groups or on development teams (which is what Roblox caters towards in the first place), but a quick quality-of-life update like this would really help solo indie developers like me out.

5 Likes

my audio made in 23/3/2022 still cant be public logic

2 Likes