Updating Creator Roadmap - 3 Months Later

Hi everyone, it’s Nick and Tian again.

We launched Creator Roadmap in May to give you more visibility into our vision and plans for the future and solicit your feedback. With the roadmap, we wanted to address many of your day-to-day pain points while providing solutions that empower you to push the boundaries of creation on Roblox.

Now, we’d like to summarize how things are going.

So far, we’ve shipped the following roadmap features:

We also shipped some products that weren’t on the Roadmap, including:

Finally, some of the features we had slated are taking a bit longer than anticipated, so we’ve updated their estimated dates:

• Window Context Cues (On Hold)
  • Studio Docking (this is almost done)
  • Script Diff Window (Late 2023)
  • Future Lighting Android Beta (Late 2023)
  • Team Create Invitations (Late 2023)
  • Collaborator Activity (Late 2023)
  • Team Create Assets (Late 2023)
  • Social and Contextual Descriptors (Early 2024)
  • Dynamic Filters (On Hold)
  • Algorithmically-Generated Categories and Sorts (2024)
  • Combined Search & Discovery (2024)
  • Improved Scalability (Late 2023)
  • Notification Analytics (Early 2024)
  • Universal Experience Notifications API (Early 2024)
  • Translated Documentation (Late 2024)
  • Richer Audio Discovery - Category Support in Web (Live) and Studio (Late 2023)

What’s Next

We have a lot we’re going to be announcing at RDC in just a few weeks. We’ll do a big update to the Creator Roadmap right after to share our revised roadmap featuring many of our exciting RDC announcements.

Please continue to voice your thoughts on the roadmap, opportunities, or trends you’re seeing and any excitement or concern you have with the direction of the platform.

FAQs

Why did you launch something that wasn’t on the roadmap?

The Creator Roadmap is not a comprehensive list of everything Roblox is doing (it’s hard to summarize what 2000+ people are working on!). Some examples of reasons why products may not show up on the roadmap are:

• User-facing products that require no action from creators
  • Products that require us to coordinate or integrate with third parties, for example, Meta Quest and 17+ experiences. This can result in uncertainty in our ship dates or we may not be able to communicate in advance until the other party is ready.
  • Products we’re holding to announce at RDC
  • Products we aren’t sure are going to be impactful or have enough funding to hit their dates

Why did a feature slip past its target date?

We do our best to forecast realistically, but sometimes, features take longer to ship than anticipated, or other features take precedence. As some of you may know, software scheduling estimation is an imprecise art.

What does Early/Mid/Late mean?

Early: January - April
Mid: May-August
Late: September - December

377 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Thanks ROBLOX for this ! I remember last years, we were having notifications on devforum about new things we weren’t aware they would even exist. Now, the transparency and efforts you are putting permit us to know better what’s going on, and predict the future of the platform better (and same for our projects !)

That’s a huge win for both us, and you, as you can receive early feedbacks directly !

113 Likes

Are there any updates to the status of the Experience Ownership Transfer project?
This is mission critical for my experience, as Roblox is doing little in the meantime to help me alleviate a lot of the problems I’m running into hosting a modern game on a single account.

109 Likes

If you want to delay public UGC, I would completely understand and support that :upside_down_face:

81 Likes

I can only be mysterious and suggest you stay tuned on this one :wink:

112 Likes

You still can’t customize the height of grass though…

91 Likes

Can we expect anything regarding users who are added to teamcreates for experiences owned by another player (not a group) on viewing the analytics and statistics dashboards / menus? Frustrating that I am unable to view the statistics and the new awesome developer tools on games I have been added to.

53 Likes

Any sort of update related to Game Sort Search Algorithm scares me, even categories.
Hopefully we won’t see the same 10 games on every single category.
Games categorised as ‘Up and Coming!’ with already 2billion+ visits along with 10k+ concurrent

51 Likes

What ever happened to videoframe? There was an announcement on a post saying that it’ll allow users to publish videos in late 2023, however with some restrictions being:
The videos can only be 30 seconds long.
The videos cost 2K to upload.
The videos can be uploaded up to 4K resolution.
The videos must be 187.5 MB or less.
We seen TONS of videos being used in Roblox Career Center - Roblox, which is an actual offical roblox game.
My question being:
Will there be any new updates on video frames reguarding their state and when they’re going to be brought to the public?

64 Likes

Dynamic filters being on hold while arguably being the most crucial “new” (genre sorting once existed…) feature for Roblox is disappointing. The other discovery-related features being in 2024, is also unfortunate. That is a long time for people who rely on this platform for their income.

Discovery has fallen off a cliff, and posts such as Roblox’s Algorithm Changes Are Killing Our Game don’t give me much hope for algorithmic sorts. Sustainability is consistently being killed on Roblox in favor of clickbait content that can be churned out quickly but has a very short lifespan, and generally needs massive amounts of users to provide a good revenue stream.

Besides the players, if almost all developers will only ever be a one-hit wonder with an extremely short lifespan game, that doesn’t fare well for the future of the platform. This current algorithm seems to come down to a lot of luck (visible analytics seem to be a secondary consideration) and manipulating users into clicking on your game. That does not seem like a good way to help support studios, careers, and creativity.

47 Likes

I’m looking forward for some of the features like Team Create Assets and Richer Audio Discovery. Not sure about updates like Dynamic Filters, they seem like it would receive a lot of backlash.

39 Likes

What about the Search bar for group assets in Toolbox?

36 Likes

On the subject of audio, when are the plans to actually allow audio assets to be public? At least make audios under 6 seconds have the ability to be set to public. It was promised that we would have an update “Soon” on this almost two years ago and there is nothing in the road map about an audio update until 2024? I’m confused on why old updates are being forgotten about that we were promised would happen almost 2 years ago.

44 Likes

What ever happened to clouds? What could have been awesome was left as a boring feature. We were planned to have so much customisation and then… poof; gone. We need clouds grrr :rage:

45 Likes

Improved Scalability

I hope that is referring to server scalability

Whatever happened to the Hack Week shown below? Where they had Persistent Client Seamless teleport, which would be huge for MMORPG’s on Roblox.

An opt in program to allow better server hardware for large experiences that intend to have 200-500 players in a server would also be a huge step up for us developers and my team.

48 Likes

Does that mean the aerodynamics update will ship soon :hushed::hushed:

38 Likes

Well written announcement, love the transparency.

WRT this I think Roblox is relying too much on certain metrics for driving their algorithm, and perhaps not weighing others enough (e.g. retention should be > acquisition for example). This is a very common pattern I see in social media websites like TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, etc. The algorithm favors data collected and stripped of context and then makes assumptions that don’t fit. E.g. showing rage bait because people are naturally curious about bad things == showing more bottom-of-the-barrel rainbow vomit absurdity simulators because kids are attracted to bright colors and crude jokes. Both of these outcomes are bad for the people involved because they make the end user feel bad, like their time is wasted, numb, etc. and is further bad for the overall ecosystem, skewing the content Roblox encourages creators to make. Roblox should be more careful with how they use their analytics for surfacing content.

42 Likes

I’m not sure if people agree with me here, but I feel as if there are far more important things to be implemented than what’s currently planned. For starters: increasing the range of lights? Updating Skyboxes? Updating Water. Even basic things like controlling grass height.

What happened to the new humanoidController beta? Or clouds?

It feels like so many new beta features get forgotten, ushered away.

I personally feel that there could be better updates to implement, but please tell me if I am wrong.

35 Likes

We had to deal with horrible discovery for years and the one feature we’ve been promised multiple times is coming soon to fix it all is being put on hold indefinitely?

Can’t speak for everyone, but I feel pretty disappointed.

40 Likes