How to report and debug a crash of Roblox Studio when playing a game

What is the best way to find and fix an issue causing Roblox Studio to crash when playing a game? Sometimes when playing a custom game within Roblox Studio a “Roblox Crash” dialog appears with the message “An unexpected error occurred and Roblox needs to quit. We’re sorry!” I captured a process dump file when a first chance exception occurs. Looking at the dump file with the Windows debugger Windbg, it reports that an access violation error (code 0xc0000005) occurs in the RobloxStudioBeta.exe program. Since I don’t have any symbol *.pdb files I am unable to debug the problem. I also haven’t found a way to trap the exception from within the lua scripts of the game. Can you please recommend the best ways to report and address this issue?

Instead of trying to record error codes, make a post on bulletin board describing what you are doing that is consistently leading to said crash.

A few examples on how to format studio crash bug reports are here

And the offical guideline is here:

And here is how to get posts moved into official categories for new members that want to make studio crash bug reports

Hope I helped you understand better :yum:

Edit: Just noticed you weren’t a new member, you can skip the last step but its useful for new members that find this thread by searching or trying to make a thread with a similar title.

2 Likes

Ok, so it sounds like I should post a bug report in the Studio Bugs forum using the recommended format, and that a member of Roblox technical staff may notice it there and address the issue. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

If that was the correct anwer you should mark it as correct. Under @chesse20’s message, there should be a little tick you can click (bottom right, next to the heart).

Should be right here

2 Likes