Roblox 2021: The Accelerator Program

Are you looking to accelerate the growth of a team or an experience on Roblox? Are you interested in providing direct feedback on the platform? Are you hopeful for consultation on game design, production management, or platform best practices? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, the Accelerator Program may be right for you and your team.

The Accelerator Program will provide up to 5 individuals over $13,000 each (plus over $1,000 for technology) to work on a new or existing Roblox Experience full-time for 12 weeks, and provide feedback on the platform. Roblox can contract your team as a company, or contract each individual of your team.

• Individuals must be 18 years or older. 2-5 Participants per team.
  • Technology lump sum is offered one time per individual. Additional program participations will not grant an additional technology lump sum.

During the program, participants will have access to talks, consultation, and round tables on game design, production management, and platform best practices. Participants will gain access to our Virtual DevSpace Discord Channel, where they and our previous program Alumni can converse and collaborate. At the end of the program, each team will present a summary of their experience (on Roblox, and during the program) to the entire Company! You also get a cool virtual hat for participating, and an even cooler one for accomplishing your goals.

In 2021, Roblox will conduct 3 Accelerator Programs. All programs will be 100% remote.

• Fall [ September - November ] [ APPLICATIONS CLOSED ]
  • Summer [ May - August ] [ [ APPLICATIONS CLOSED ]
  • Spring [ February - May ] [ APPLICATIONS CLOSED ]

FAQ

How does Roblox select which teams participate in the program?

• Roblox is looking for teams who have completed a public experience on the Platform in the last two years. Roblox likes to see teams who are using the newest platform technologies, and have published games, with years of experience as a game developer.

What can teams expect during the application process?

• If we accept your team’s application, your team will do a 3-minute pitch for Roblox on Zoom. A template will be provided on the information Roblox would like to see. Roblox will score each pitch* and accept the highest-scoring teams, based on our individual headcount for each class**.

• *details on how you are scored is provided to teams who reach this step
    **2021 headcount ranges from 40-50 individuals

Why has Roblox not provided a Mingling Thread, similar to previous applications?

• Roblox is mainly targeting teams who are already working together. Teams who come together specifically for the program tend to fragment afterwards. We recommend self-organizing to find a team you will work with for the long run!

Do I need to attend in person?

• We are not currently hosting on-site internships / accelerators.

Do I need to be a US citizen to participate?

• No.

Can I get University credit from this?

• Many universities will provide credit for this program, but every school is different! You should consult with your university counselors and determine what credit you can receive. Roblox is happy to help with any information / documents you need completed, but it is your responsibility to execute on this.

When do I need to be 18 years old?

• You’ll need to be 18 years old before the program begins.

I have an up-and-coming studio that I am looking to expand. Can I lead a team, but use the 5 spots for new team members?

• Yes. We understand that some games may be financially supporting one or few developers, but unable to financially support team expansion. We can work with each team on a case-by-case basis to see how the 5 spots can be best utilized.

I will be in College during the Program. Can I participate in the Accelerator while I am in College?

• If you are a full-time student, we wouldn’t recommend this. The Accelerator Program is a full-time program that requires participants to attend various meetings between 10am - 6pm PST Monday - Friday. We can work with teams on a case-by-case basis but we will prioritize teams who have the time to commit to their projects.

I submitted an application, but need to make changes. How can I do this?

• Your most recent form submitted will be the one we use. Just submit a new one!
360 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 14 minutes.

Are some of these dates wrong? I don’t understand how the acceptance message is supposed to get sent after the program has already started. I hope that this is just a typo.

Other than that, this again is an excellent opportunity. I love especially that we no longer have to live in the U.S. to participate since the program is 100% virtual- creating new opportunities for a global developer base. I encourage anyone who can apply to consider doing so! :earth_africa:

65 Likes

This seems like something I want to do once I am over the age, sadly not yet but soon.

58 Likes

Darn! These dates always get me. I’ll fix that up, ignore them :stuck_out_tongue:

44 Likes

I’m wanting to apply for this since I am going to turn 18 in February, the question is this: I’m graduating this year in early June, but I finish school on May 21, will Roblox accommodate me in this case? After June 3, I’ll be a free bird, but between May 21 - June 2, I’ll be mostly free. It’s nice that it’s remote, though, which will help out.

36 Likes

To cases like this, I usually advise just signing up. We try to be flexible with anyone who makes it into the program. Worst you’ll hear is no!

29 Likes

Imagine having 18+ years old lol

27 Likes

We have had this program since 2015. If you aren’t 18 yet, I can bet this program will still exist once you are :wink:

46 Likes

Will there be future virtual accelerator opportunities in the following years, after the current pandemic circumstances hopefully settle down?

20 Likes

Yes. The Accelerator Program will likely always have a remote aspect to it, even after current pandemic circumstances.

29 Likes

This is an amazing opportunity, thanks for opening it to be Remote so that those who cannot be there in person can have a chance to be apart of the program!!

20 Likes

I won’t be applying, but good luck to anyone who is!

The description of this virtual hat says “A great big domino thank you to our amazing ROBLOX interns!”

So is the accelerator program a program for people to apply as an intern? This is the first time I’ve ever seen this program before so I’m a little confused.

(This may be a very stupid question)

16 Likes

The Accelerator Program can be viewed as an internship, but “intern” makes me think of College Student. You don’t have to be a College Student to be an Accelerator, you just need to be a Developer who makes Roblox games. You also sorta run your own show, compared to an Internship where you would be given tasks.

21 Likes

I turn 18 on September 4th, but unfortunately, I’ll also be starting university with my current plans and I highly doubt I’d have time for this. Maybe Summer 2022? Good luck to all those applying.

13 Likes

Haha, internship for me is only 4 - 5 years from now. Good luck whoever is going to try-out for it.

11 Likes

Might consider it once I’m 18. Oh well, 600+ days to go!

Good luck to the people who do end up applying.

11 Likes

Ahoy! I just need to wait 4-5 years, wish me goodluck on those years :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes

Can a teammate who is not a devforum member/regular still be in a team if they show promising potential in what they specialize in (i.e. an animator, builder, or an artist)?

9 Likes

I would highly recommend the accelerator program if you have the time!

• Great networking opportunity
  • Christian + the other leaders Roblox has are amazing and fun!
  • Unlocks a great amount of resources provided by Roblox to succeed
  • You’ll help shape/influence Roblox’s platform when they look for feedback from you!
  • Great way to experiment with new ideas, and learn a lot!
57 Likes