Script_CoreScripts/ExperienceChatMain Very Slow

Any update? These issues should be treated as the highest priority possible as they may affect the entire platform…

2 Likes

Hello, I found a good way to reproduce the issue you can call TextChatService:DisplayBubble on every frame and you’ll see that it’ll take around 5ms to complete at first but it’ll then start taking around 15ms. I expect this to not take such a long time.

How to repro use the place file provided and press play, wait around 30 seconds you’ll see that your performance will degrade a lot.

TextChatService_BeingSlowRepro.rbxl (52.6 KB)

After around 30 seconds of the script running

Edit: This seems to be another issue from the one being reported here

1 Like

just loaded into Steam and Steel today. frame time up near 30-40ms…
turned to old chat system fixes it.

1 Like

Some optimization efforts are rolling out within the next few weeks!

8 Likes

Any chance you could fix this widely reported issue that you guys have been ignoring for months? Would be great because right now it’s one of the #1 complaints to do with the new TextChatService, and a massive inconvenience to my game.

6 Likes

Hey I’m sorry to bother,
I’m a bit curious if there is a date in place for when we can expect to see these improvements?

This + this lighting memory leak issue which I think is now resolved? was a big performance problem for my game.

I only ask because this is really affecting performance in games with this new chat system and I’m not sure if I should move to the legacy chat system in the meantime.

my game relies on the new chat system for player tags and more – I’ve thought about moving to the legacy chat system temporarily until this is fixed but converting parts of my game to support the legacy chat system sounds like a bit of a hassle to do and I’m a bit unsure if I should do it especially when this issue is going to be resolved soon.

Thank you for the follow up reply too, I’m excited to see how much better performance is when it ships!

3 Likes

Can confirm I’ve been having these issues in my games as well.

2 Likes

Bump. It happens when a message is sent, when you hover your mouse over the chatbox to make it visible, and even when doing nothing.

1 Like

This issue still persists :(, is there any update on this?

2 Likes

bump. Please please please prioritise and fix this! it is so incredibly slow

2 Likes

We want to move over to the new chat system (from Lua chat), but cannot spend the time converting everything until this is confirmed fixed. Any updates? It’s worrying that people are still saying it’s an issue.

1 Like

It seems like a bit of work has been done on this, but all I am seeing is that Script_CoreScripts/PlayerBillboards has taken its place. Like before, this was taken on a BlackBerry KEY2.

2 Likes

switch to legacy, fixed all my issues. im making such a demanding game and yet roblox backend is still the biggest problem here- they need to sort out their stuff.

Can confirm that this is still happening on my game on all devices.

Constant FPS drops with the new TextChatService; makes it absolutely unusable and this needs to be fixed ASAP since legacy chat has started having bugs making TextChatService the only viable alternative; and in it’s current condition it’s unusable as some of my players are experiencing borderline second by second frame stutters.

5 Likes

Roblox’s complete silence here is really annoying. If this remains an issue for much longer, we’ll be reverting back to Lua chat, undoing a considerable amount of work done for the new chat system in the process.

4 Likes

Noticing times of around 5-10ms average on my phone.
The chat shouldn’t take up half of the frame time (60 fps → 17ms)…
This is a big issue.

2 Likes

Friendly reminder this is still a significant issue for many of our players making their FPS and thus our experiences feel choppy.

7 Likes

It’s been 4 months and we are still experiencing performance problems with this new chat system.

Will we get a follow up regarding this?

3 Likes

I have not encountered many bugs with the legacy chat, other than those that have been there for a while, and dragable being buggy. I also updated it to look more modern and fix some stuff (mainly dragable as I mentioned) in this topic Customized Chat, Giving a second life to the old beloved chat.

Surprisingly, the legacy chat does support automatic text translation, and I got it to work in one of my games (which involves forcing some variables, set by a FFlag, to be true, and adding a BoolValue named ChatTranslationEnabled inside a folder set to true)

The performance issue are still here:

2 Likes