Defense Game Devlog #1 - Awesome weapons!

I’ve started a new defense game similar to Defend the Statue. I’ve only had a week with it, and I’m really proud with what it is so far! It’s going to be a game where you have to kill waves of enemies before they either kill you, or reach your yummy cake. If too many enemies reach the yummy cake, you lose. It’s going to be really fun, especially with friends! :smile:

Combat

You can fight enemies with three weapons: A sword, a crossbow, and a sniper. Both have their uses and are effective against different enemies. There will obviously be more weapons to use in the future, but these are the starter weapons the player will have.

Enemies also have weapons! They have:

• Swords, for head on melee combat
  • Fireballs, for some mid range attacking (this isn’t shown in the prototype, but it is programmed in the game)
  • Rocket launchers, for cliff enemies to blow you up from above

Speaking of “cliff enemies”, I’ve made enemies that spawn on cliffs and high places, and don’t usually move. These enemies typically have long ranged weapons like rocket launchers. You’ll either need to use a ranged weapon to kill them, or find a way to get close to them with a melee weapon.

My current focus on the game is enemy weapons, since I feel like this will be one of the hardest things to create in development.

Enemies

There are currently only two enemies, and they’re only for the prototype:

• Noob - The basic enemy, he has a sword and he’s gonna kill you with it!
  • Cliffman - The guy that likes to camp on a cliff and snipe you down (but he doesn’t use snipers, he uses rocket launchers)

Obviously, I’m going to make more enemies in the future.

enemies_wave
The enemies are ganging up on me!

A lot of the mechanics that are going to be in the final game are not yet present in the current build, and the current build is lacking a lot of stuff, so I’m not going to link the game here yet. Instead, please enjoy this video of me showcasing the prototype:

Coming Up

I’m trying to make a lot of enemy weapons because I think it’s going to be very hard to do. I actually don’t have any good ideas for enemy weapons at the current moment, so if you have any ideas for what weapons to give enemies, please tell me! I’d also appreciate any further feedback based on the video above! :grinning:

10 Likes

That’s brilliant. Can’t wait for the next develog to come :wink: . I’ll be waiting and by the way make sure to take your time and make sure the scripting is efficient since I would want to play that game :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like