Defense Game Devlog #4 - Spain without the s

Previous Devlogs

If you haven’t read the previous devlogs, please read 'em so you won’t be confused here.

I’m currently working on a super awesome defense game where you have to battle waves of enemies using 3 different weapons you bring into battle. The catch is, the enemies are trying to eat your yummy cake! :birthday: You’ll have to kill the enemies before that happens! Enemies can attack you aswell with weapons they hold. If everybody dies in one wave, or too many enemies reach the yummy cake, you lose! It’s essentially like a tower defense game, but instead of placing down towers, you ARE the towers!

You’ll have to team up with your friends to take out the entire army of enemies in many open maps. Dash around and slash everything with one on one melee combat, or find a good place to camp out and snipe everything! Play how you want to play. You get cash when you defeat an enemy, and can use earned cash to upgrade your weapons. Each enemy is somewhat unique and will challenge your team! It’s going to be thrilling and super fun!

New Enemies

I mentioned in the previous devlog that I was gonna design the enemies like it was gonna be easy as pie. Heh heh…

I was wrong.

It took me nearly 2 weeks just designing the enemies! I’m talking about just the looks of them, I haven’t programmed the weapons they’ll have and extra behavior for some! Talk about suffering… :pensive:

At first, I was going to make a bunch of random junk, call it an enemy, and repeat until I have almost 25. It was going smoothly at first, but I then took a look at the enemy cast of other games, such as defend the statue, and TDS. I realized that every cast of enemies followed a theme. It started out with the generic version of this “theme” and continued with variations of said theme by slightly altering the design and stats of the normal version. For example, TDS has zombies as enemies. It starts off with your normal lookin’ zombie. It then has altered zombies, like speedy zombies and slow zombies. They were all different, but you could still tell they were zombies.

So for my cast of enemies, I chose the theme of aliens! You have to protect the yummy cake from an army of derpy aliens from outer space. Pretty cool, huh?

Here are pictures of all the enemies:

Here are a few starting enemies, in no specific order.
enemies2
Here’s the mid and endgame enemies, in no specific order.

Here are the bosses, in no specific order (FYI, that blue UFO is a regular enemy and not a boss).

I’m trying to go for a silly feel for the game, so I tried my best to make the enemies look silly while also looking like aliens. Aren’t some of them cutesy? :grin: I tried to make the early enemies more simpler, since the more simple they look, the weaker they look.

While they look lazily made, I’m quite proud of them! I think I did a good job of making most of them charming and a little goofy while also mean! I don’t plan on changing these a whole lot, but nothing is final.

FIN

Cut me some slack, please! It took me 2 weeks just to make all these enemies. It’s not a whole lot to write home about, but it’s a nice little update with the development of this game, right?

These enemies are not currently in the prototype right now, but if you’d like to see the game for yourself, here ya go: defend the super yummy cake - Roblox

I would appreciate all feedback, both on the prototype and the enemy designs, it helps a lot! :+1:

Coming Up

I only designed the enemies’ looks. I have yet to complete their weapons and special abilities, so stay tuned for that!

7 Likes