Defense Game Devlog #2 - A Lotta Weapons and Awesome UI

So if you haven’t read my first devlog, go read it for context. Basically, I’m working on a really cool defense game where you have to fight waves of enemies with different weapons, and upgrade weapons with cash. Enemies will also have weapons they can use to fight you, so be careful! If you don’t kill an enemy, it will run towards your yummy cake and eat it, which is the thing you’re trying to defend. If either all players die, or the yummy cake gets eaten, you lose. I think it’ll be really fun and challenging!

The game is currently a prototype. It’s still missing a lot of mechanics and everything. I’ve only been working on it for almost two weeks now, so it’s very lacking.

Starting off, I implemented the actual mechanic the game is revolved around: Defense! Before, there was no cake health, but now, there is. If an enemy gets to the yummy cake, the cake will lose health, until it reaches zero, which you will then lose the game. I haven’t made anything for losing, I only made the cake health and a snazzy health bar at the top of the screen for it (shown below).

Enemies

I’ve added two new enemies purely for the prototype. These enemies will most likely not make it to the final build.

• Noob - The standard testing enemy, it just walks toward the cake and attacks if you get close
  • Cliffman - Camps on cliffs and attacks you with long ranged weapons
  • (NEW) Anime Warrior - Hangs out at cliffs like Cliffman, but uses a super cool energy ball attack like in anime or something
  • (NEW) Bigboy - The boss of the prototype, he swings a giant fork at you, dodge out of the way before he attacks!

While we’re on the subject, I added a boss mechanic! :space_invader: It’s no different than your average enemy. It’s just bigger, has a pretty cool weapon, and has a special purple health bar. I’d figured I’d add it after making the cake health bar:
bar_showcase
Mind the poor quality, please.

The cake health bar even comes with a sick shake effect when damaged:

The gif might not load, sorry.

Enemy Weapons

Last time, I mentioned that I would be adding more enemy weapons for enemies to fight you with, and boy, I added a lot! :woozy_face:

Here are all the weapons for enemies in the prototype:

• Sword - Enemies can swing their sword at you for some melee action
  • Fireball - A little projectile enemies can blast at you for more mid ranged combat
  • Rocket Launchers - The long ranged weapon cliffman uses. You might be able to see it a mile away, but can you dodge it in time?
  • (NEW) Frying Pan - Literally just the sword, but more awesome and deadly
  • (NEW) Paintball Gun - A gun that shoots weak little paintballs in bursts of three! It’s cooler than it sounds, trust me
  • (NEW) Ice Cream Cones - Enemies can shoot three ice cream cones in three different angles (unlike the paintball gun with bursts, it blasts three ice cream cones at the same time)
  • (NEW) Giant Fork - The weapon the bigboy boss uses, it’s a very heavy weapon, so he’ll charge up to swing at ya
  • (NEW) Dab - Yeah, you read that right. Enemies can dab on you to damage you :flushed:
  • (NEW) Shoryuken - The energy ball weapon I was talking about for the anime warrior. I have no idea what to call it ok? I’m sticking with “shoryuken” because yes

All of these weapons are complete with animations, some having idle and holding animations. I don’t know how or why, but these weapons are all pretty performant, which was surprising since I thought the projectiles would lag a little.

I’m also planning on keeping all these weapons in the final game, including the dab. I put in a little effort into these weapons, so you better like 'em!

Also, I’m making more goofy weapons because I want the game to have a silly feel to it. It’s gonna be action packed, but also funny.

FIN

That’s about all that I added. It might not seem like much, but I assure you, it was quite a lot. Since there’s a bit more content than the last devlog, I’ve gone ahead and made the prototype public for you to try. Here’s the game link. Please give as much feedback as possible, but keep in mind that it’s still a prototype.

Notes on the prototype:

• Noob enemies will have random weapons when spawned, so you can see 'em all.
  • Cake health will not go down, just for testing.
  • Cliff enemies and the bigboy boss will respawn after a while when killed, for testing.
  • There are no actual waves of enemies yet, they just spawn infinitely.

enemy_wave_showcase
Just a glimpse of what you’ll see…

Coming Up

I honestly don’t know what to add to the game next. I could add the cash mechanic from killing enemies, or maybe start designing enemies. Who knows, check back in the next devlog to find out. If you want me to implement something in the game, anything, please tell me! I’d also appreciate any further feedback! :grin:

6 Likes

After testing the game, I really like the concept of the game. The enemies are pretty cool and especially the attacks. The enemies don’t seem pretty strong though, they only last one blow. I suggest giving the frying pan noob a frying pan on it’s head, a helmet for the paintball noob and other accessories as an addition for their design. I’m looking forward in playing the game when it’s finished. It’s a pretty cool and fun game!

Also, I suggest adding a little cut screen of the noobs eating the cake when the players lost.

Hello, After a nice test of the game, I got to understand some of the mechanics you used and I can’t think of many ways you can improve them. I love the quick response times between shots and the engagement that the player experiences between each shot. The bullets shot out of the guns are made very well as well as the bullet effects on the ground. One thing you can do to improve is to have the “blue electric balls” thrown by the noobs on the tall bridge have an effect when missed maybe a small radio shock wave or minimal ground shakes if near. I cant wait to play the finished product when released!

1 Like