Defense Game Devlog #3 - Upgrades, people, upgrades!

I’m currently working on a defense game where you team up with friends and defend a super yummy cake, and it’s going pretty smooth. Please read the first and second devlog if you haven’t already to catch up on the game I’m working on. In short, it’s a game where you have three weapons, and you must defeat many waves of enemies before they reach a yummy cake. Enemies have different weapons they use to attack you, and if everybody dies, or too many enemies reach the cake, you lose! It’s going to be really fun and awesome!

Last time, I made a lot of enemy weapons, and I mentioned that I might start working on a cash and upgrade system, where you get cash for killing enemies, and can upgrade your weapons with cash. I finished this today with a nice cash system, and an upgrade menu! In my opinion, it’s epic. :sunglasses:

Cash

I’m planning on making the UI in a way where enemy stats, such as how many enemies are left, on the bottom left corner of the screen, player stats, like cash and notifications, on the bottom right corner of the screen, and more global stuff, like cake and boss health, at the top, for better readability.

So I’ve put a cash counter at the bottom right corner of the screen, showing how much cash you have. It abbreviates to “1.5K” or something if it’s in the thousands, and “1M” if it’s in the millions.
cash_ui

Different enemies give different amounts of cash when killed, and every player that damaged it gets cash from it. :money_with_wings: When you kill an enemy, a nice little popup animation plays, showing the cash you got from the enemy:
cash_popup

As I said above, cash is used to purchase…

Upgrades

Oh yeah, this is the big one. I made a way to upgrade your weapon’s stats, like cooldown and damage. You can buy upgrades with cash, and each upgrade costs more and more the more you buy it. It’s kinda like a simulator, but it won’t be! :upside_down_face:

Here’s what the menu looks like:

As you can see, there are three upgrades per weapon, cooldown, damage, and a special third upgrade that’s different for each weapon. There’s a description for every upgrade, and a bar under them that shows how many you already bought (in the picture, the bar is empty so I didn’t buy anything).

In order to make upgrades more “desired”, I gave each weapon a little problem that can be improved with upgrades.

• The sword has little range, so there’s a range upgrade for it
  • The crossbow’s arrows are slow, but this is no problem with arrow speed upgrades
  • The sniper has a very long reload time, but you can make it faster by buying upgrades

This will give the player more motivation to kill enemies, and upgrade to kill even more enemies! I will make another upgrade section for your character, where you can get more health, but I’m going to do that at a later time.

FIN

That’s all I have for this devlog. I know it wasn’t much, but this was a big mechanic I had to include, so I did! Here’s the game link if you’d like to see all this for yourself: defend the super yummy cake - Roblox

If you can’t play the game, I made a video showcasing the cash and upgrades:

Please leave as much feedback as possible, but please keep in mind that this is just a prototype! :slightly_smiling_face:

Coming Up

Now that I got a big mechanic out of the way, I think I’ll start making enemy designs, and possibly more enemy weapons for the final game. I’m going to make really goofy characters, to make the game more funny. I already made dabbing as an enemy weapon, so why not make the game more funny?

I’m going to try and make at least 25 enemies before the next devlog. Until then, stay tuned!

5 Likes

Looking like a good tower defence game! Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Oh my god! This is awesome, it reminds me alot of Team Fortress 2 Man VS Machine.

1 Like