M̶i̶n̶i̶m̶a̶p̶ ̶C̶r̶e̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶[̶R̶o̶R̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶]̶ DEPRECATED

This is all legacy information and may or may not be useful to you. This version of the tool is no long supported and is not guaranteed to work

Check solution to this post for the most updated resources to use this!

So today I am releasing my fork off of @Widgeon Isometric Minimap Creator. I highly suggest you give it a read if you have not already to get an understanding on how to configure the settings in order to capture your map.

Reason for making this: Widgeon’s map rendering is very crude.

1. It is very difficult for users that do not have experience in programming, outside of Roblox, to set up.
  2. There is no clear Mac support
  3. Anytime you want to change the image size you have to change the values in 3 different scripts.
  4. You have to install a bunch of most likely unfamiliar software

To solve these problems I decided to scrap his python code entirely. His code worked, but it was just not user friendly enough! I replaced it with a JavaFX application that is a bit easier on the eye’s and a heck of a lot more usable. The reason for writing it in Java is simple, most machines already have Java Runtime already installed.
35%20PM

^big boy program

Now to fix the usability issues in studio. It is a pain in the butt to go looking through the code and individually changing all the variables and what-not. What we need is a Hero… plugin. 59%20PM

There are descriptions underneath the buttons in the plugin that describe what the settings do and how to configure them correctly.

Between the plugin and the java app rending images should be a whole lot less of a pain for everyone involved. If people actually appreciate/use this I might write a “Set-up wizard” into the plugin that will help people easily set all the values.

How to use:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of Java Runtime installed. HERE’S A LINK
2. Install the mentioned plugin. [HERE'S ANOTHER LINK](https://www.roblox.com/library/2203985959/Ro-Render)

https://www.roblox.com/library/2203985959/Ro-Render

UPDATE:
@Widgeon made a much better version of the plugin with tons of added functionality. Here’s a link to that and his post is about the update is marked as the solution.
https://www.roblox.com/library/2875705729/Widgeon-X-RoRender-Minimap-Creator

UPDATE 2: Use the plugin @StrategicPlayZ posted until an official fix is released M̶i̶n̶i̶m̶a̶p̶ ̶C̶r̶e̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶[̶R̶o̶R̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶]̶ DEPRECATED - #89 by StrategicPlayZ. It is currently marked as the solution to this thread.

1. Download the executable .jar file and/or source code (Instructions on page, scroll down). LAST LINK

https://github.com/AJSteinhauser/RoRender

If you don’t care enough to verify the program is not bloxing you or your account you can go ahead and skip to next section

But wait… This VineyardVine is just a guy on the internet, and I was told never to trust anyone on the internet. Even my browser is smart enough not to trust him.788e079ed0e3c4e43eb059bdd0265c63
So to verify this program here’s what you can do. In the folder called Ro-Render there is a little file named HttpTesting.java. That is the source code for the entire project right there so if you are worried that I am trying to hax you, you can download the Java JDK (Java Developer Kit) and a compiler program. I recommend using JGrasp, it is a light weight environment that is really straightforward to use if you do not plan on learning Java. Simply paste the java code into the text editor window press compile and then the run button after giving the code a quick read through and the program will pop up ready for use.

Or you could just download the file named RoRender.jar, double click it and be on your merry way… Your choice.

Anyways to make a render, First press the “Start Server” button on the java program. Second, in the plugin, once you have configured all of your settings press “Inject Scripts”. Finally press start server (in studio) and have the number of clients == to the number of cores your CPU has. (Again give @Widgeon Isometric Minimap Creator post a read through). You can monitor the progress of the render in output of the server studio window. After the render is complete click the “Export Image” button and it will export your mini-map as a png wherever you want.

My goal in creating this is to give less technically proficient creators the ability to make mini-maps. Hopefully we will see more and more Roblox games take advantage of a really common game element.

Happy Rendering
–VineyardVine

For the latest version of this tool, please follow this link

224 Likes

I think I messed up…

Idk, I put a brick in the top left corner of the overall map, and found the X/Y/Z value that way.

So my values were:

This is the map:

The map is about 8.5k x 5k studs big for X - Z.
The tallest point is about 175 studs tall.

9 Likes

Yah lining it up is really difficult to get the hang of

In this case I think the top left corner would be somewhere with a positive X & Z value.

If that does not work try doing a really small render at 0,200,0 and do a few of the small renders moving the starting point X/Z position to figure out what direction you need to have it going.

5 Likes

Hmm. Interesting.

8 Likes

Could you possibly script a self starting button for when server is up because before all my players loaded it failed several lines. Also to solve the issue with centering and sizing why not allow us to connect those properties by binding it to a brick we can resize? That or add a preview button.

5 Likes

I haven’t run into any issues other than just where I want it to render, and not fully understanding what it’s doing. That being said, I’m running tests by just changing up values to see where things go.

I think Pixels per Stud needs to be changed, and that would’ve fixed my issues from last night. It’s more like Studs per Pixel. I changed “Pixels Per Stud” to 5, and as you can see, it got smaller, versus the above picture I did was at the default .5

Also, I think the render is mirrored…

Meaning I should start in the top right, not Top Left…

3 Likes

Yeah I clearly misunderstood where to position in the beginning, doing round 2 of rendering. I’m just happy the setup was easy.

6 Likes

I think the positioning is a little off though.

This was [0, 250, 0] with 5 PixelsPerStud.

This is [3225, 250, 3225] with 5 PixelsPerStud.

Trying out 3225, 500, 3225 with 5 PixelsPerStud, I got this:

S

So like, I got everything in, but then it didn’t go deep enough to get the small track on the bottom right. So yea.

5 Likes

Ever had this issue? I just keeps going: image

6 Likes

I get the “LINE FAIL -1” everytime. But I’ve never seen the (4x)

And then I’ve never got those other issues.

This is my system though:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X6rr9W

5 Likes

Your lines are being completed too slow, the timeout is 10 seconds hence the LINE FAIL, you can change that however in the script. When it says LINE FAIL it will keep trying to have that line completed by a client, but if it takes over 10 seconds to complete the line it will cycle over and over.

6 Likes

The only time I ever see that is if too many clients are spawned in or a client gets disconnected. Try dropping it by 1

5 Likes

@Op

4 Likes

I think it would be more appreciated if it was easier to setup via video and you show how to correctly get a render done such as a preview brick. Just to make the process faster and less tedious when you render it for 3 minutes and you see nothing on the image because of your angle being wrong.

Not to mention i can never tell if Im truly getting my entire map on the screen. Until its done, so renders with low quality and missing lines on purpose would also make that process better.

I truly believe this is a amazingly useful plugin I want to keep using but fighting with it to get what I want out of is the hard part.

8 Likes

Dang. My computer must be a beast. It takes me barely any time to pop a render. But yea, the setup isn’t the best.

5 Likes

@GeorgeOfAIITrades
@TechSpectrum

Maybe this will help you guys out a little bit

Here is an 8k render of @Quenty’s “Pirate Island” template place. Took about 45ish mins to render it out.

The map is exactly 2048x2048 studs large with the exact center of the map being (0,0,0). That means that our starting point is going to be (1024,YHeight,1024).

So lets say you wanted to do a small 1024x1024 image render. That means that every pixel needs to cover 2 studs. (1024x2 = 2048–The size of the map) So just set the PixelPerStud variable to 2.

You wanna make it a 4k image???
So image size is now (2048,2048) and the map also happens to be 2048x2048 a 1:1 ratio so each pixel can represent each stud on the map. So pixels per stud = 1

19 Likes

This is Excellent!
I’ll give this a try soon. Thank you very much!

11 Likes

Anyone else running into this:

CURLConnectToServer

CURlTimeout

My console will get spammed with this inconsistently, and don’t know how to deal with it. I have gotten it to work a few times, though.

3 Likes

That means that there is something interfering with the connection to my local server that the Java program creates. Since it uses a fairly common local address, try closing other programs while running this.

Also make sure you press the “Start Server” button on the java program before starting the Roblox server.

4 Likes

Still happens after closing all other programs and on a separate PC that doesn’t have anything else installed on it

2 Likes