New In-Game Topbar

Hello Developers,

As part of our ongoing effort to modernize the design and improve the functionality of the in-game UI, we are excited to introduce a NEW topbar for PC, Mac and all mobile devices! This topbar is more lightweight than the existing one, so the visuals of your game can shine through! To save space, we moved most of the icons to a new Game Context Menu on the right side. As you can see below, when you open this Menu, you’ll have access to the Leaderboard / Player List, Emotes and Backpack / Inventory. The shortcut keys are also listed so your players can learn how to directly access these features, if they are enabled in your game.

The new Topbar should have little to no impact on your game’s UI. The Topbar area is still 36 pixels tall as it was before, but it is worth checking when it goes live in case you included any UI elements inside the Topbar space and need to make any adjustments.

Here is what the new Topbar looks like:

APIs to disable the Topbar and other CoreUI are unaffected by this change and will continue to work as normal.

PlayerGui:SetTopbarTransparency will no longer change the transparency of the Topbar and this function will be deprecated.

This change should be shipped late March or early April. Please let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

Thanks,
Game Experience Team

925 Likes

I think it was fine before, now it looks too empty …

338 Likes

Looks cool, mordern styled but nice

139 Likes

Nice! But maybe soon a option. to change the key binds?? :eyes:

It looks cool though, I feel like now it looks better than when the new topbar came out. Nice job whoever worked on this!

199 Likes

Can the leaderboard still be brought-up by pressing TAB? And I’d love that you can easily press “esc” then “r” then reset since its useful for many situations in-games.

97 Likes

I love it! It matches the style of the new leaderboard. The sleek black design is flawless!

Edit: Apparently they updated the post a while ago so my statement doesn’t make sense. :weary:

65 Likes

YES PLEASE

THIS IS REALLY REALLY GOOD LOOKING

I LIKE THIS

Is the chat going to get a revamp too?

135 Likes

I prefer the old topbar; however changes are usually made for the better!

I would really prefer the settings tab be a hamburger icon rather than the ROBLOX icon because that is essentially a standard for lots of platforms.

EDIT: Looking at the screenshots again makes me feel that the ROBLOX Icon is infact not the settings panel, but instead just an image of the ROBLOX Logo. No idea why they would put it there except because maybe they wanted to fill empty space. I think this is the settings panel now?

EDIT 2: It turns out the ROBLOX Icon is actually the settings panel for clarification of those unsure.

The ROBLOX Icon plug is not pleasing!

Icons feel more “bubbly.” Can we expect to similar changes in the Backpack Gui?

148 Likes

Looks great! Hope to see this shipped soon. The Roblox logo directly touching the top of the screen looks a bit odd, but other than that it’s a major improvement.

83 Likes

I love it, but it just looks far too “empty” I prefer the old one due to this.

74 Likes

I’m gonna miss the old top-bar if this is gonna get added

63 Likes

Any GIFs of the menus or…?

wordlimit

22 Likes

I really love this design! It looks so sleek, and it really fits quite well in games.

38 Likes

It’s a bit confusing when it comes to the Roblox logo in the topbar. Like what does it do?

38 Likes

This design looks great, but it’s gonna take a while for me to get used to it.

31 Likes

But will there be an update to the menu?

24 Likes

I feel there’s a lack of contrast against bright backgrounds, since the semi-transparent black bar has been removed.

38 Likes

It would be more useful if it was like a headset hud. when you press tab (on pc/mac) it shows all of the settings on the left, and leaderboard on the right.

I quite frankly like the update, but it feels a little empty.

27 Likes

Is there any way to fork the old bar to use in your games? I would prefer to keep the old style for older games so they stay true to the nostalgia.

42 Likes

This is probably the best update so far in my opinion. Now, we can freely place UI’s and model our own topbar without it being overlayed. Good Job!

33 Likes