Roblox Crash On Startup, after white screen or after a few frames, and Frozen Roblox Studio Playtest

Hello, ever since maybe a couple weeks ago, the website version of Roblox has been crashing directly on startup, and the player in Studio freezes. It seems to have gotten worse everyday:

• Before this, I could open roblox with stutters at the beginning, play normally although with sudden lag spikes, then sometimes my game would crash through anywhere from maybe 10 minutes to even an hour.

• After that, I could open roblox with stutters aswell, but everytime I open the escape menu, it freezes for about 10 seconds and I still get lag spikes.

• And as of now, I will either get a white screen and crash, or Roblox will display a few frames before crashing, as shown by videos below:

White screen:

Frames before crash: (I moved my mouse at 1:10 to show nothing else is frozen on my PC.)

This also happens in Roblox Studio, when trying to playtest a game.
Detailed video here, where you can see the studio issue. Everytime you see a “(Jump-cut)” that means I cut the frozen footage and applied text for how long I edited out.

The base game freezing issue is NOT PRESENT in the Microsoft Store version, which may be a temporary solution, but that also has it’s own issues.

WHERE: Any game.
WHEN: Started happening a week ago.
REPRODUCTION:

1. Open a game on the Roblox website.
  2. Wait for crash. (However, this is not present on all systems.)

Personally I have tried almost all solutions for Roblox crashes, none of them seem to be working, 3rd party apps don’t seem to be interfering with it, no update seems to have broken the game. A factory reset of my PC is too much for me to be able to do at the moment.

I’ve been trying to get myself involved in other somewhat-similar threads, but we still do not have solutions. Everyone’s problem seems different in a way, especially mine, which doesn’t seem like what has happened to anyone else before. I’m really getting sick of this, and it seems like all of these crash threads are left hanging. I know it’s the holidays and there might also be too many issues to handle, or maybe even these problems are too complex, but I just figured I really had to make this message, because this is a serious problem seemingly impacting too many players to count.

Thank you.

Crash dump & 5 logs thread

18 Likes

I also seem to have a similar issue, I’ll hang out here if there is a solution

6 Likes

I know someone who is also having this issue, except they don’t get the white screen part. They crash after around 5 seconds.

4 Likes

I have a simuler issue that’s been happening since I upgraded my pc to NVIDIA and Windows 11. I can join and play games but eventually the app freezes and closes automatically and recently it’s been randomly flashing black and sometimes white screens during gameplay and I’ve done everything to resolve the problem like reinstalling, updates, settings improvements and more but nothing seems to work

5 Likes

Nothing seems to work for me either. Any suggestions I find online for similarly related issues don’t change a thing. I’ve done just about everything, now I’m just stuck to waiting for a response. I can’t even look at the crash dump myself to find a plausible conflict.

3 Likes

Just reached out to the engineers about this, thanks for the report!

2 Likes

been having this issue after the latest client update, tried full uninstall then reinstall after pc restart & nothing, hoping yall can get this fixed

2 Likes

When I tried to launch or re-install ROBLOX, my computer just straight-up froze. This happened 3 times.
EDIT: Apparently, it’s because I disabled the memory limit. This will be detrimental to my Visual Studio endeavors.

3 Likes

After investigating this issue a bit more, I haven’t found a root cause but something to possibly narrow down the issue:

This seems to HEAVILY involve built-in Roblox UIs (menu, chat, leaderboard, etc.) as interacting with ANY of them tends to cause huge CPU spikes. I’ve uploaded a couple videos of that happening, with a mouse overlay:

This would also explain why I get very few frames while loading into games, since the overlay has lots of moving animation and also covers the entire screen.

Side note: Roblox VR seems to be the only thing just about playable for me. UI works smoothly, I hardly get any lag spikes, and crash times vary. Which is strange because for other people, this solution seems to have worked:

1 Like

This is still happening, roblox crashes after like 10 seconds and I can’t playtest my games!

2 Likes

This is still happening, even after a full OS reset, the screen remains white and doesn’t load anything. The Microsoft Store version doesn’t work either, it either says Initializing Device or Checking For Updates. Nothing works, it’s like a hardware issue. The laptop I did this on has a RTX 4050 Laptop GPU and a 12th gen i5-12450H. Works fine on my other laptop, with a GTX 1650TI and a i5-10300H. Please fix this, the laptop is brand new and everything else works.

3 Likes

I even made my own topic on this, here’s how to fix it.

Reinstall roblox.

Use CTRL + ALT + DEL to view the task manager and stop the Roblox Game Client task and start it again.

Run as administrator.

Restart your computer.

1 Like

No good. Followed the exact steps in your reply, then started Roblox up through the desktop app and it does the exact same as before. Reinstalling Roblox and also running it in administrator mode are two of the many things I’ve already tried.

2 Likes

Bunch of my friends have been getting this issue.
Personally, I get such huge lagspikes whenever I join any game. It seems to only happen when I first join that specific game, and if I rejoin it doesn’t do it anymore, not sure if it’s correlated!

3 Likes

I’ve also tried the Microprofiler to try and get a view of what’s going on. Really, I couldn’t find anything but this is what I saw.

I can only assume the “Heartbeat” is basically just the frametime. No clue what anything else is.

This is the microprofiler capture for the above 3 images (most likely), might help if there’s someone who can analyze it and find the issue. But I still have no clue.

3 Likes

Well, i had to update my windows to windows 11, that worked for me!

Huge update:

I believe this is fixed, albeit for an unknown reason. It was either this V609 fix:

or this comment that did it:

The only issue I’ve seemed to encounter so far is momentarily freezing on respawn.
Anyways I think war is over, but I will update the thread if I encounter this issue again. Thank you guys!

1 Like

I marked this as a solution, but I undid it.

Game doesn’t crash when starting up anymore, studio works, but it’s basically just whatever the situation was 3 months ago. Way more playable, but:

• Will crash after a while
  • Random lag spikes
  • Temporary 4-sec freeze on death

We’re getting somewhere but I guess it’s not all the way yet.

Edit: I realized the V609 fixes are “pending” meaning the crash fix isn’t enabled yet, so it may be fixed when it becomes Live.

This crash issue is happening still but after a while in game…

2 Likes

Didn’t realize it’s been a month. True, it’s been weeks since a response and it’s crazy that THIS big of a platform can’t solve player’s serious problems such as these. Lack of communication is quite the problem in these forums, we can’t even get an update and for how many people this impacts it seems like they should be trying something to keep us informed :man_shrugging: I understand how complex technology can be but I don’t see what takes the overall issue even months to fix

For example, a few other threads that have been left hanging:

I understand removing Oculus software was a solution for many, but for those who it didn’t work for, most of them are probably still facing this issue. I’ve also seen that Bitdancer seems to be pretty prevalent with these reports, but I’d hope he’s not the only one handling these right?

There also hasn’t seemed to be an actual update on Roblox to fix crashing since Version 609, currently we’re on version 614 and there hasn’t been anything for a while.