Introducing the new Creator Store!

[Update] February 12, 2024

Hey Creators!

Today, we are excited to kick off a new era as the Creator Store. Previously called the Creator Marketplace, the goal of the Creator Store is to foster an ecosystem where creators can safely exchange high-quality assets and solutions including models, plugins, meshes, images, fonts, audio, and video that accelerate creation on Roblox.

The team has been hard at work over the past two years revamping the foundation of the creator assets and solutions ecosystem into what you see today. And with your feedback, we have focused on three key areas: safety, utility, and earning opportunities.

Safety:

We’re committed to ensuring that the Creator Store is a safe place to find assets. Over time, we implemented numerous changes that allow us to hold bad actors accountable and protect creators from malicious assets. With both human and automated systems in place, we believe we can quickly adapt to any issues in the ecosystem.

Some of these changes include:

• Upload rate limits to help prevent spam and misuse
  • Automated detection of malicious code in Creator Store assets
  • Human evaluation of top and new assets covering over 50% of Creator Store insertions
  • Defaulting to show content from ID/phone-verified creators only
  • Bans of coding patterns/APIs primarily used for malicious behavior
  • Systematic moderation of malicious content and consequences for bad actors

Here’s a quick look at the impact these changes have had:

• Removed 47M malicious and copied assets since 2022
  • Reduced spam by more than >90% since implementing monthly submission limits
  • In 2023, 99.99% of Creator Store insertions into Studio have been confirmed safe.

We have more updates in the coming months, which will continue to improve the safety and the transparency of our systems.

Utility:

We have taken major strides to revamp asset discovery, and are excited to continue improving the experience so you can find the assets you need quickly and efficiently.

Some key improvements that have made a notable difference in workflows include:

• Semantic search in Creator Store is leading to an up-to 20% increase in unique insertions across Creator Store asset types
  • Adding subcategories and trending sections to the homepage
  • Rolling out trusted ratings and reviews for better community feedback. We are planning to expand this to more asset types.
  • Rich media allows more robust asset descriptions with additional images, links, and a “more from creator” section. This year, we’re planning further additions to asset descriptions to give you more insight into what assets contain and their function.
  • Coming soon, we’ll be introducing Contextual recommendations based on your scene

Earning Opportunities:

Last but most definitely not least, we are thrilled to begin the rollout of our USD price-based Creator Store that was announced at RDC. This will enable you to keep 100 percent of the proceeds from the sale of your plugins and models (coming soon) sold in Studio or Creator Hub—minus sales tax and payment processing fees. Assets sold will no longer be subject to DevEx fees.

In the coming weeks, creators interested in selling plugins on the Creator Store can set up their seller accounts and configure US dollar prices for their assets. To ensure you all have time to make this transition and ready your content for sale, assets will not be purchasable at these USD prices until late March. After the new USD based Creator Store is live, you will no longer be able to buy or sell assets on Creator Store using Robux. Soon after, we plan to add support for selling models.

Keep your eyes out for an announcement with more details coming soon!

206 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Update is good, but:

Please like this post if you disagree with the USD forced update. This shows how much people dislike that portion on the update.

Let’s try to ratio to show us that we disagree with a portion of this update

My ‘Rant’

Removing the Robux option is so useless for this, what were you guys trying to achieve to make it only USD based? Why not have both? There isn’t much of a reason to force it to be USD (why not find how much the Robux one costs and convert it into the real USD price)

• It makes it harder for sactioned devs, who can’t spend real life money on Roblox, relying on donations/money made from games

• People who can’t spend money on Roblox (ex: Parents)

• People who can’t DevEx

Other than that, it’s fine! I’d like to sell my items for Robux or Money I feel silly and wan’t to sell my work.

But please listen to the X people who heart this.

Add both.

Problem is to force it. It’s good to have it for this reason, but not everyone would wan’t to DevEx, some people wanna have the Robux.

Roblox said something about the feedback me and many others have given, read it if you haven’t already:

The Response
321 Likes

I hope this doesnt mean the actual worlds we are working on will be snooped on for this feature.

( I’m saying this without having read the original post about contextual recommendations so I don’t know how it works)

18 Likes

How did you get this information?

If it was automatically collected, does that mean that Roblox knows of an asset is malicious beforehand?

53 Likes

I’m getting the idea that robux is going to slowly be phased out. This is exciting.

19 Likes

Explanation from Hooksmith:

For commissions (hiring devs), using USD is already mainstream. By using dollar prices, assets can be valued fairly and avoid underpaying creators.

iirc this recommendation is based on the model you select. It doesn’t use anything in your current map to recommend similar assets.

6 Likes

I don’t want to be required to provide payment information for every time I want an asset. My hope is that they have somewhat respectable security no less than AES-256 end-to-end encryption for purchases. Further on, I don’t to end up in a databreach because I want to install “Tool Grip Editor.”

22 Likes

Honestly, I don’t trust the moderation and then the appealing process of the moderation is horrible, so if you want to improve something, there it is. The problem doesn’t lie in the user interface design, the problem lies within the actual moderation.

I’m sure out of the >90% “spam” you deleted some new ones and ones that aren’t spam. I’m sure that the people that appealed these bans, were furious that their assets got taken down. I can go on for days on how moderation and moderation appeals suck on this platform, and there’s been very very very many of these already put up as feature requests.

It’s a good step in the right direction, though the step is a bit out of the way and we need y’all to step in the right direction, and walk straight. Honestly, it’s a fantastic improvement from what it was before, but there are still some things that need to be worked out.

I’m more happy to sit down with a person and talk about all of the things wrong with moderation and moderation appeals if need be.

21 Likes

Fair, but should there also be a Robux option? For more Younger devs?

19 Likes

Source: it was revealed to David Baszucki in a dream

35 Likes

Why are you calling it the Creator Store now? What was wrong with Marketplace? The old name felt much more community-aligned; a marketplace is where many people come together to buy goods from various vendors. A store is a single location where people come to buy goods from a single entity. It doesn’t make sense, and it doesn’t feel nice.

Also the word store is jarring to me as a programmer because it collides with terms like memorystore, datastore, secret store, and other similar tech.

39 Likes

Or simply anyone wishing to be more on the safe side since that one DevEx provider ended up getting databreached.

9 Likes

Absolutely. It should be possible to convert Robux into dollar credit at DevEx rates just like with ads. But instead of another abstract currency, 1 credit should be equal to $1.

16 Likes

Legitimately, why can’t we have the option to use Robux? Forcing USD only makes things less accessible. Classic Roblox move, “fixing” something that wasn’t broken.

25 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, i got warned 3 times trying to upload assets for my own personal use and the assets where not inappropriate

12 Likes

Can there be a better way to verify accounts? Im not adding my ID or phone number to my Roblox account. Any developers who use DevEx should automatically be verified

18 Likes

Wdym? Like the USD option for the update entirely?

6 Likes

Can’t really easily fake an ID or Phone Number

9 Likes

Personally, I really love the idea of being able to sell your models to other users. and have wanted something like this implemented for years.
But I don’t exactly see why it has to be USD only;
as it limits Who can purchase the models to a Mostly older audience.
I’m not sure about some of you guys, But
I find it more convenient to just buy Plugins/UGC/anything on the platform with Robux as you don’t even need to think about it. I will go and risk 400 robux on a model on a whim But I wouldn’t do that for an item that’s 5 USD.

8 Likes