Creating A Furniture Placement System

This guide was originally written for scriptinghelpers . The original can be found here .

One of the most common requests I get for blog post topics are for a decoration placement system that saves. I’ve shied away from this topic in the past as there is no singular “correct” way to do it. That being said, I think it’s a good exercise for all game devs to go through and will potentially place a role in a future blog post I plan to write.

In addition to change things up, I’ll also take the time to explain and use Object Oriented Programming (OOP) as it’s not only my own preferred style, but also something Roblox uses for their core scripts.

Object Oriented Programming

OOP is all about writing classes which in this context is a very fancy synonym for the word “blueprint”. We can then use these blueprints to create objects that have certain properties and methods.

If some of these words sound familiar to you, well, that’s because they are. The objects that you interact with such as Parts, Humanoids, Motor6Ds, and so forth are by design of the OOP paradigm. These objects have properties and methods that when combined define how they interact with our game.

Properties are used to define “characteristics” of an object. For example, a Part has a property called Size which as its name suggests defines how large or small the object is. In turn these properties often play a role in the behaviour and actions associated with said object which is defined by methods. For instance, the method :GetMass() returns the mass of the part which among other things varies with size. Thus, we can see an example of a clear connection here between methods and properties.

Now that we have some of the terminology down and an example I’d like to further discuss the distinction between classes and objects. A class defines the properties and methods that an object will have. For example, we know all parts are going to have a position property, so we define it in our class. The actual value of the position property will vary between individual objects, but the overarching concept of a part we know will have a property called Position with a Vector3 as its value. In a similar sense when writing the methods of our class we may not know the literal values for each property, but since we know that those values will exist, we can treat them almost like function parameters.

The difference between OOP and a more functional approach for the same task can be seen in the code sample below.

local part = Instance.new("Part")
part.Size = Vector3.new(1, 2, 10)
part.Material = Enum.Material.Wood

print(part:GetMass()) -- 6.9999998807907

-- vs:

local function getMass(size, material)
	-- mass = volume * density
	local volume = size.x * size.y * size.z
	local density = PhysicalProperties.new(material).Density
	return volume * density
end

print(getMass(part.Size, part.Material)) -- 6.9999998807907

Ignoring that fact that the method is built-in and thus didn’t have to be defined, the only difference was that in the functional approach we had to plug in the part’s properties as arguments manually. In the method’s case we didn’t have to plug in any arguments because Lua knew we were calling a method on a specific object and thus could grab the properties needed directly from it. A method is just the name we give to functions that are applied to a specific object. An example of what this might look like would be this:

function Part:GetMass()
	local volume = self.Size.x * self.Size.y * self.Size.z
	local density = PhysicalProperties.new(self.Material).Density
	return volume * density
end

You might note that the above code is referencing something called self and understandably this seems like it’s coming out of thin air. In Lua, when you call a method the first argument passed is ALWAYS the object the method was called on. When defining a method with the syntax form function Class:MyMethod(param1, param2, …) the parameter that will represent the object is forcibly given the name self and shouldn’t be defined in the brackets like any other extra parameters. So, if I ran somePart:GetMass() then the argument that would replace self would be somePart.

As a side note, either due to personal preference or a familiarity with other languages that use another keyword other than self such as this, some programmers may wonder if there’s a way to use a different parameter name. This is possible, and the equivalent code would be the following:

-- the self argument is still passed, but it's parameter name is no longer hidden and can be changed
function Part.GetMass(self)
	local volume = self.Size.x * self.Size.y * self.Size.z
	local density = PhysicalProperties.new(self.Material).Density
	return volume * density
end

-- still called like a normal method
print(somePart:GetMass())

It would be my personal recommendation however that you do not do this as it can be confusing to others from a readability perspective.

Alright, so how do we write a class? The last piece of the puzzle is something called a constructor. A constructor creates an object from the class and returns it back to us with a set of filled in properties. A very common constructor that I think (?) all of the built-in classes have is .new() but other examples might be Vector3.FromNormalId or CFrame.Angles. A class can have multiple constructors and they can be named just about anything. Sometimes when we write these constructors, they have parameters that help us fill in properties and other times they don’t. It’s completely up to you as the programmer and dependent on what the class if for.

Let’s look at how the staff at Roblox might write a constructor in Lua and we’ll break down the parts from there. Here’s an example of how one might copy the Vector3 class constructor.

local Vector3 = {}
Vector3.__index = Vector3

-- constructor

function Vector3.new(x, y, z)
	local self = setmetatable({}, Vector3)

self.x = x or 0
	self.y = y or 0
	self.z = z or 0

return self
end

To some of you this might already make perfect sense and to some of you it may not. The key difference between those who understand and those who do not should be familiarity with metatables. This is a big topic in of itself, but luckily, we only really need to understand one aspect of the __index metamethod to understand this code.

The best “dumbed down” explanation I’ve heard of meta-tables is “events, but for tables” and this is particularly applicable to the __index metamethod. The __index metamethod is “fired” when an non-existing key in a the table is indexed meaning read, not written.

local t = {
    cats = 10;
    dogs = 32;
}

local cats = t.cats -- not fired b/c value exists for key
local dogs = t.dogs -- not fired b/c value exists for key
t.turtles = 60 -- not fired b/c we are writing
print(t.hamsters) -- fired b/c value does not exist for key

Now typically metamethods will “fire” a function and the __index metamethod can also work in this way. However, if instead of setting a function to the __index metamethod you set another table then when the __index metamethod is “fired” it treats the process as such:

• Table was indexed with key => Does the key correspond with a nil value in the table?
    • Yes => Does the key correspond with a non-nil value in the table in the __index metamethod?
      • Yes => Return that value
      • No => Return nil

This is quite useful to us at it allows us to set default values to keys and not have to constantly redefine and repeat ourselves when making copies. In the case of the above code we use this such that self, the table we return from our constructor, will have access to all the constructors and methods we attach to the Vector3 table.

Say we add the following method to the above code then create an object and run the method on it:

function Vector3:Magnitude()
	local x, y, z = self.x, self.y, self.z
	return math.sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z)
end

local v = Vector3.new(1, 2, 3)
print(v:Magnitude())

The process is treated as such:

• v was indexed with Magnitude key => Does the key correspond to a nil value in v?
    • Yes => Does the key correspond with a non-nil value in Vector3?
      • Yes => Return that value (the magnitude method)

Thus the :Magnitude() method is called on v which has actual values for properties x, y, and z and as such we get the corresponding result.

There’s a lot more to be said about OOP and what I have explained has barely scratched the surface. Some other languages force you to use OOP and have a much richer set of features compared to Lua. If you want to further explore OOP in Lua I recommend you read the following post on the devforums.

All that being said, the question I still have not answered is “Why use OOP?”. My answer: I personally enjoy it as it forces me to organize my code in a modular and reusable way that can be combined together for a variety of complex tasks. That being said there’s positives and negatives for everything so use what works for you.

Grid placement

Finally we can get into the purpose of this blog post! Before we even start about specifics let’s layout a few things we want our placement system to do.

• Constrain objects for placement on a flat surface
  • Filtering enabled friendly
  • Save any placements we make so they are there when we rejoin the game

In this section we’ll mainly be focusing on the flat surface constraining part, but we’ll also want to take into account filtering enabled for some of this. As such our first step is going to be talking about that.

Now I don’t know about you guys, but personally when I write FE friendly stuff I don’t like to repeat myself. Unfortunately that’s a rabbit hole that we can easily fall down. So the way I approach FE with OOP is to use the RunService:IsServer() method. This tells me if my code is being run on the server or on the client. If I bake that into my own class then when I run things I’ll be able to have both logic for client and server specific things. The only catch here is that I actually need two identical objects created by the class. One on the server, and another on the client. I’ll henceforth refer to these as twins.

For the sake of this post here’s how I might setup the server handing and the class constructor.

-- Server Script

-- the module script from below
local placementClass = require(game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage"):WaitForChild("Placement"))
local placementObjects = {}

local remotes = game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage"):WaitForChild("Remotes")

-- creates the server twin, stores in a table and returns the CanvasObjects property
function remotes.InitPlacement.OnServerInvoke(player, canvasPart)
	placementObjects[player] = placementClass.new(canvasPart)
	return placementObjects[player].CanvasObjects
end

-- finds the server twin and calls a method on it
-- note: b/c we aren't using the standard method syntax we must manually put in the self argument
remotes.InvokePlacement.OnServerEvent:Connect(function(player, func, ...)
	if (placementObjects[player]) then
		placementClass[func](placementObjects[player], ...)
	end
end)

-- Class (Module Script)

local isServer = game:GetService("RunService"):IsServer()

local Placement = {}
Placement.__index = Placement

function Placement.new(canvasPart)
	local self = setmetatable({}, Placement)

-- the part we are placing models on
	self.CanvasPart = canvasPart

-- custom logic depending on if the sevrer or not
	if (isServer) then
		-- create a folder we'll place the objects in
		self.CanvasObjects = Instance.new("Folder")
		self.CanvasObjects.Name = "CanvasObjects"
		self.CanvasObjects.Parent = canvasPart
	else
		-- initiate the twin on the server
		self.CanvasObjects = initPlacement:InvokeServer(canvasPart)
	end

-- we'll talk about these properties later in the post
	self.Surface = Enum.NormalId.Top
	self.GridUnit = 1

return self
end

return Placement

Moving onto methods, we’ll probably want at least two (we can always add more later). The first method, :CalcCanvas() will tell us the surface’s CFrame (rotation and center) and size (width and height). The :CalcPlacementCFrame() method will be used to find the model parameter’s constrained CFrame that is closest to the position parameter. The rotation pameter will allow us to adjust for when we wish to rotate our model by 90 degree increments.

-- methods

function Placement:CalcCanvas()
	-- use to find the boundaries and CFrame we need to place object
	-- on a surface
end

function Placement:CalcPlacementCFrame(model, position, rotation)
	-- use to find to find the constrained CFrame of the model 
	-- for placement
end

Let’s start filling these out shall we?

local canvasSize = self.CanvasPart.Size

-- want to create CFrame such that cf.lookVector == self.CanvasPart.CFrame.upVector
	-- do this by using object space and build the CFrame
	local back = Vector3.new(0, -1, 0)
	local top = Vector3.new(0, 0, -1)
	local right = Vector3.new(-1, 0, 0)

-- convert to world space
	local cf = self.CanvasPart.CFrame * CFrame.fromMatrix(-back*canvasSize/2, right, top, back)
	-- use object space vectors to find the width and height
	local size = Vector2.new((canvasSize * right).magnitude, (canvasSize * top).magnitude)

return cf, size
end

Sure enough, if we try this out and draw out the CFrame in some way we’ll see that it matches the rotation, it’s placed in the center of the surface, and the lookVector is equivalent to the top-surface’s normal.

local test = Placement.new(game.Workspace.ExampleCanvas)
local cf, size = test:CalcCanvas()

print(cf, size)
print(cf.lookVector == game.Workspace.ExampleCanvas.CFrame.upVector) -- true

Now before moving onto the :CalcPlacementCFrame() method let’s discuss a few assumptions we can make about the models we place. The biggest of these assumptions is that they will have a primary part which represents their bounding box. This part will likely be completely transparent and non-collidable, but those choices are up to you as the developer.

Now that we have that out of the way let’s fill in the method.

-- use other method to get info about the surface
	local cf, size = self:CalcCanvas()

-- rotate the size so that we can properly constrain to the surface
	local modelSize = CFrame.fromEulerAnglesYXZ(0, rotation, 0) * model.PrimaryPart.Size
	modelSize = Vector3.new(math.abs(modelSize.x), math.abs(modelSize.y), math.abs(modelSize.z))

-- get the position relative to the surface's CFrame
	local lpos = cf:pointToObjectSpace(position);
	-- the max bounds the model can be from the surface's center
	local size2 = (size - Vector2.new(modelSize.x, modelSize.z))/2

-- constrain the position using size2
	local x = math.clamp(lpos.x, -size2.x, size2.x);
	local y = math.clamp(lpos.y, -size2.y, size2.y);

-- create and return the CFrame
	return cf * CFrame.new(x, y, -modelSize.y/2) * CFrame.Angles(-math.pi/2, rotation, 0)
end

Now we have a basic working surface placement method. Let’s try testing it out.

local canvas = game.Workspace.ExampleCanvas
local furniture = game.ReplicatedStorage.Furniture

-- create an object with the constructor
local placement = Placement.new(canvas)

local mouse = game.Players.LocalPlayer:GetMouse()
mouse.TargetFilter = placement.CanvasObjects

local tableModel = furniture.Table:Clone()
tableModel.Parent = mouse.TargetFilter

local rotation = 0

local function onRotate(actionName, userInputState, input)
	if (userInputState == Enum.UserInputState.Begin) then
		rotation = rotation + math.pi/2
	end
end

game:GetService("ContextActionService"):BindAction("rotate", onRotate, false, Enum.KeyCode.R)

game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Connect(function(dt)
	local cf = placement:CalcPlacementCFrame(tableModel, mouse.Hit.p, rotation)
	tableModel:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(cf)
end)

gif1

Everything looks good, but sometimes we might want to be locked to a grid. To do this we return to our :CalcPlacementCFrame() method and round the x and y variables to the nearest grid value.

-- one of the properties I didn't explain earlier
	local g = self.GridUnit
	if (g > 0) then
		x = math.sign(x)*((math.abs(x) - math.abs(x) % g) + (size2.x % g))
		y = math.sign(y)*((math.abs(y) - math.abs(y) % g) + (size2.y % g))
	end
end

Now say we set GridUnit to 2 then our placement system will be locked to a 2x2 grid!

gif2

Placing the object

Right, so in my opinion getting objects to snap and constrain to a surface is the hardest part, but there’s still a few other things we have to do before our placement system is complete.

The main thing we have still yet to cover is finalizing the object’s position and then locking it there. This is quite easy in our current form as all we have all the information, but we need to make sure we do the placement on the server. We’ll do this with a new method called :Place() which will fire a remote event to place the objects.

-- new method

function Placement:Place(model, cf)
	if (isServer) then
		local clone = model:Clone()
		clone:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(cf)
		clone.Parent = self.CanvasObjects
	end

if (not isServer) then
		invokePlacement:FireServer("Place", model, cf)
	end
end

-- put it into action

local function onPlace(actionName, userInputState, input)
	if (userInputState == Enum.UserInputState.Begin) then
		local cf = placement:CalcPlacementCFrame(tableModel, mouse.Hit.p, rotation)
		placement:Place(furniture[tableModel.Name], cf)
	end
end

game:GetService("ContextActionService"):BindAction("place", onPlace, false, Enum.UserInputType.MouseButton1)

gif3

You’ll hopefully notice from the above gif that everything looks pretty good with the exception that we can currently overlap objects. The way we will deal with this is by creating a method that checks if we can validly place the object down and then passing that into our :Place() method.

function Placement:isColliding(model)
	local isColliding = false

-- must have a touch interest for the :GetTouchingParts() method to work
	local touch = model.PrimaryPart.Touched:Connect(function() end)
	local touching = model.PrimaryPart:GetTouchingParts()

-- if intersecting with something that isn't part of the model then can't place
	for i = 1, #touching do
		if (not touching[i]:IsDescendantOf(model)) then
			isColliding = true
			break
		end
	end

-- cleanup and return
	touch:Disconnect()
	return isColliding
end

function Placement:Place(model, cf, isColliding)
	if (not isColliding and isServer) then
		local clone = model:Clone()
		clone:SetPrimaryPartCFrame(cf)
		clone.Parent = self.CanvasObjects
	end

if (not isServer) then
		invokePlacement:FireServer("Place", model, cf, isColliding)
	end
end

Awesome we don’t have to worry about that overlap problem anymore!

gif4

Advanced: Using surfaces other than the top

This is a minor addition and can be completely skipped, but for those who are interested about how we might use the other surfaces of a cube aside from the top this section is for you. Just keep in mind that all this can be just as easily achieved if you rotate the canvas part such that it’s top surface is facing where you want.

To do this we return to our :CalcCanvas() method. Before we used fixed object space vectors to represent the top surface CFrame. If we wanted to have this work for other surface we go through a similar process, but we need to do some actual calculations. We’ll now use the property Surface which will be a NormalId enum to represent the normal of the surface we want to calculate the CFrame for.

local canvasSize = self.CanvasPart.Size

local up = Vector3.new(0, 1, 0)
	local back = -Vector3.FromNormalId(self.Surface)

-- if we are using the top or bottom then we treat right as up
	local dot = back:Dot(Vector3.new(0, 1, 0))
	local axis = (math.abs(dot) == 1) and Vector3.new(-dot, 0, 0) or up

-- rotate around the axis by 90 degrees to get right vector
	local right = CFrame.fromAxisAngle(axis, math.pi/2) * back
	-- use the cross product to find the final vector
	local top = back:Cross(right).unit

-- convert to world space
	local cf = self.CanvasPart.CFrame * CFrame.fromMatrix(-back*canvasSize/2, right, top, back)
	-- use object space vectors to find the width and height
	local size = Vector2.new((canvasSize * right).magnitude, (canvasSize * top).magnitude)

return cf, size
end

Here’s that in action using the left surface instead of the top.

gif5

Using datastore to save placements

You may find that depending on your game you might want the player to be able to leave and come back to their canvas part with all the stuff they placed on it. To do this we are going to take advantage of datastores.

To start off we need another remote function since the datastore only works on the server. We shouldn’t need to pass any data to the server aside from if we should save, clear, or load the data. This is because we already have a twin on the server that has the exact same information.

-- Server Script

local datastore = game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore("PlacementSystem")

function remotes.DSPlacement.OnServerInvoke(player, saving, useData)
	local key = "player_"..player.UserId

local success, result = pcall(function()
		if (saving and placementObjects[player]) then
			if (useData) then
				-- save the data
				-- :Serialize() is a method we'll talk about in a second
				datastore:SetAsync(key, placementObjects[player]:Serialize())
			else
				-- clear the data
				datastore:SetAsync(key, {})
			end
		elseif (not saving) then
			-- load the data
			return datastore:GetAsync(key)
		end
	end)

if (success) then
		-- return true if we had success or the loaded data
		return saving or result
	else
		-- show us the error if something went wrong
		warn(result)
	end
end

Next, as alluded to in the code above we are going to define a new method called :Serialize(). This method will convert all the objects we have currently placed into a format that can be stored in a datastore. Since I just want to give a simple example we’ll do this by creating a dictionary where an object space CFrame is the key and the furniture item’s name is the value.

function Placement:Serialize()
	local serial = {}

local cfi = self.CanvasPart.CFrame:inverse()
	local children = self.CanvasObjects:GetChildren()

-- key = object space cframe string
	-- value = object name
	for i = 1, #children do
		local objectSpaceCF = cfi * children[i].PrimaryPart.CFrame
		serial[tostring(objectSpaceCF)] = children[i].Name 
	end

return serial
end

Now whenever we are ready to save we can store the return of the :Serialize() method to the server and retrieve it later.

The next question we have to answer is how to use that information to put everything back where it was. To do this we will create another constructor. It will take not only a canvas part as an argument, but also retrieved serialized data.

function Placement.fromSerialization(canvasPart, data)
	local self = Placement.new(canvasPart)
	local canvasCF = canvasPart.CFrame

-- if data is nil or empty then this constructor is the same as .new()
	data = data or {}

for cf, name in pairs(data) do
		-- find the furniture model with the same name
		local model = furniture:FindFirstChild(name)
		if (model) then
			-- convert the string CFrame to a real CFrame
			local components = {}
			for num in string.gmatch(cf, "[^%s,]+") do
				components[#components+1] = tonumber(num)
			end

-- place the object
			self:Place(model, canvasCF * CFrame.new(unpack(components)), false)
		end
	end

return self
end

Sure enough if we make sure to save and load our data we get the following result:

gif6

Conclusion

That was quite the exercise and there was a lot to learn, but hopefully you are walking away from this with more info in your noggin than before. If you want to see the place in action then check out this link.

That’s all for now folks, hopefully I’ll have another post soon!

1138 Likes
Making a Placement System more efficient than what I have currently?
How to go about a placement system?
Placing items on different elevations
How would I make a dragging system like in Roblox Studio?
Placement system with multiple part surfaces and object bounds
How to use Zblox’s Placement Module [OLD]
Help with EgoMoose's Furniture Placement System
BloxBurg Plot Customization
How do you make EgoMoose's Placement System 3D rather than 2D?
Furniture place system
Help With placement system
Brick Placement on Any Surface
Snapping Position question
Placement Problem
Placement System Toggle
Item moving issues
Build Mode help
Increase size of parts via dragging in game
What is self and how can I use it?
Faces being flipped for some reason?
Fixing placement system offsets?
How to make a building system? (I'd really appreciate some feedback)
Wall Glitching with EgoMoose Furniture System
Cannot make a cframe with 0 rotation around y axis
How to make a build tool
Place Tool Fail
Why does Normal rotate my models in weird ways?
Making a block water flowing system
Grid-based building system with block + model support!
I need help with vehicle weapon placements
How can I save parts on two different floors?
Placement System
How to create bounds for objects?
An Interior Building System Guide
Question about grid placement
Grid placement tool help
Save game state help
Need help with grid system
How i make a interact system like this?
Question about the "do" and "and" keywords
How are games with large things players save (such as a house) set up?
Help with Vector and CFrame math
Saving Plot system help
How can i make a Furniture Placement from scratch
How do I save a players backpack?
Place brick straight to the ground
How would i even start this?
How would I make a house building system
Checking part position
Can someone help me understand this tutorial?
Problems a script on the basepale
Placing Grid on Floor?
How do I begin making a plot/placement system?
How to add a grid snap in my part dragging system
Suggestions Needed
I Need help with a Sandbox tycoon placement
Where should I begin with saving plot placements?
How to Make My Placement System Compatible with Mobile Devices
Where/How Did You Learn How To Make a Grid Placement System (If You Did)?
How can I sorta understand CFrame.fromMatrix
How would I convert the follow [] to table.insert? Help!
Issue - Saving an Entire Tycoon
How to tile parts from a to b
Changing cframe depending on house position
Detecting Part/Mesh boundaries for a placement system?
How can I make a building system like retail tycoon?
Setting part position to a saved position
How would i create a grid placement system?
Script doesn't work for some reason
Housing System in Roblox Studio
How to make a "grid" that you can place parts on it?
Saving plot structures
How would I create a plot and house selection system like bloxburg?
Tycoon DataStore System for Multiple Designs
ME Time! - Update log/Credits
Rust like building system
How do I make a Dragger?
Help with block placement
Help with block placement
Building system help
Building system help
Place anywhere tycoon
Grid Placement Position Clamp System is off when 4 does not go into base part size
What is Math.clamp?
What is Math.clamp?
How can I add collisions to my placement system?
How can i use coroutine.wrap with a module function
How to make a Grid-Placement System?
I need help making a Grid Based Formula that ignores an object's rotation/tilt
Code Issues - How to Placement System
Grid snapping system not working for rotated rectangles
Plot Saving System
Plot Saving System
How would I make a F3X plot system?
Make building system only work if you're inside your plot
How can i make a grid, plot, saving, rotating placement system?
Saving furniture with my current system?
How to create a grid on one part?
Placement System Saving
Collision doesn't detect my "NoPlacePart" parts
How and what should I use to assemble a level editor for a test game?
Grid Snapping Problem
Placement Script
Saving furniture placement?
How To Make A Part That A Player Can Drag and Rotate
How would I code moving a part around in-game?
Tower Defense Placement System
OOP Object on Client and Server
Where do I start with a grid placement system?
Placement System
Need help with scripting dragging for a building tool
Tips on creating a placement system
Grid Placement System
How i can make a house placement system?
How do i create a saving system for parts using DataStores?
Housing System Help
How do i achieve this?
Scripting a Placement System
Looking for a better placement system script
I do not understand __index
Cframe.FromMatrix() question
How would I go about making a part snap to a grid
An Interior Building System Guide
[FOR HIRE] LilekK Portfolio - Scripter
How to Make A Grid for a building System?
Help with a placement system
What are meta tables and what are some examples to use them?
Placement System for multiple objects
What is the best way to show a model in green/red version?
How to make my Placement System Script align the furniture with the plot in a Grid System and stay aligned
How can I remove something from this table?
Help with saving CFrames, Orientations, and a Player's Plot

Very detailed explanation, thank you for this! Will be using this in my project.

Always grateful to be apart of this community to allow myself to extend my experience in programming and to understand different components with examples from others.

71 Likes

There are an overwhelming number of threads asking for guidance on placement systems or assistance in fixing their code. Not only does this tutorial adequately and smoothly cover how to make one, but it’s got the fancy OOP too. Well made.

There’s one thing I noticed though. I didn’t take a critical look at this article since I have no use for placement systems yet, but your data saving code caught my eye. I wanted to ask - is there a reason that you save blank tables to clear data over using GlobalDataStore::RemoveAsync?

37 Likes

Placement systems are something that so many people want to know how to make but they actually quite easy once you know how to actually make them. This tutorial will definitely be a great start for those that are trying to learn how to make such a system.

20 Likes

To be honest no. I guess that was an oversight. It could/should be set to nil and no errors would be caused.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit: So you can’t use :SetAsync() with a nil value. I also tried using :RemoveAsync() but keep getting warnings. So an empty table it shall stay for the time being.

23 Likes

I use SetPrimaryPartCFrame() to do this, I find it simplier.

11 Likes

This is wrong. The metamethods are ran when the key indexed does not already exist.

15 Likes

Yes I had a few ppl alert me to this (got things jumbled in my memory). Its fixed on SH, but im on mobile atm. Ill update the post when i next can.

Edit: Should be fixed now

13 Likes

One of the best tutorials I’ve ever seen. Good job!

12 Likes

Wow really good! I wish there had been something this good when I was attempting this for the first time years ago… :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks!

14 Likes

Thank you for this! I think this is the perfect amount of work shown without giving away too much code including tweening the movement of parts as you move your mouse, rotation tweens, etc. You showed the basics and that leaves the rest of us to challenge ourselves to include more features.

One of the few tutorials I will recommend to people frequently as too many people ask for this. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Love the tutorial, but IsColliding always returns false.

Edit: Nevermind, fixed it, I was being stupid and trying to get the server to check for collisions on a part created by the client. :roll_eyes: Ended up working out how to verify collisions on the server, so those pesky exploiters don’t ruin my game so easily lol

https://gyazo.com/8d233faf1787f49131cdf8d25315b23c

14 Likes

Thank you. This was a very good tutorial on placement system.

10 Likes

As I am using this I noticed that when you rotate the model it’s not centered, how can I change it?

17 Likes

Good question! The reason it’s not centered is because it’s locking to a grid. If you want the item to line up directly to the mouse then set the GridUnit equal to 0.

Another behavior you might notice is that anything that isn’t a 90 degree increment may not be properly bound to the surface. This is because the code assumes axis aligned rotation and does some simpler math because of it. To fix this you must adjust how the model size is calculated (as a world space bounding box).

local function worldBoundingBox(cf, size)
	local size2 = size/2;

local c1 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(size2.x, size2.y, size2.z))
	local c2 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(-size2.x, size2.y, size2.z))
	local c3 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(-size2.x, -size2.y, size2.z))
	local c4 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(-size2.x, -size2.y, -size2.z))
	local c5 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(size2.x, -size2.y, -size2.z))
	local c6 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(size2.x, size2.y, -size2.z))
	local c7 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(size2.x, -size2.y, size2.z))
	local c8 = cf:VectorToWorldSpace(Vector3.new(-size2.x, size2.y, -size2.z))

local max = Vector3.new(
		math.max(c1.x, c2.x, c3.x, c4.x, c5.x, c6.x, c7.x, c8.x),
		math.max(c1.y, c2.y, c3.y, c4.y, c5.y, c6.y, c7.y, c8.y),
		math.max(c1.z, c2.z, c3.z, c4.z, c5.z, c6.z, c7.z, c8.z)
	)

local min = Vector3.new(
		math.min(c1.x, c2.x, c3.x, c4.x, c5.x, c6.x, c7.x, c8.x),
		math.min(c1.y, c2.y, c3.y, c4.y, c5.y, c6.y, c7.y, c8.y),
		math.min(c1.z, c2.z, c3.z, c4.z, c5.z, c6.z, c7.z, c8.z)
	)

return max - min
end

local cf, size = self:CalcCanvas()
	local modelSize = worldBoundingBox(CFrame.Angles(0, rotation, 0), model.PrimaryPart.Size)

-- same stuff from before
end

2019-02-27_19-41-23

Hope that helps!

53 Likes

Definitely keeping a note on this for future use.

14 Likes

Awesome work! I see that the code only supports one specific part called “ExampleCanvas”, how would I be able to make the code support multiple parts? In case I want to have each player have their own canvas which they can place their furniture on.

3 Likes

It’s entirely possible to do and quite easily extended onto the system provided. That being said, it’s something I leave for readers to figure out. Good luck! :grin:

14 Likes

What part of the scripts would I need to edit to allow players to place items on different height surfaces? Currently can’t have placement on say a two storey building, etc. or different heights/levels of floors.

7 Likes

If I understood the script right then I think that’s what you are looking for.

3 Likes