FPS Game Devlog | #28 - A Fresh Start

Wow, it’s been a while…

I’m officially back.

You might have noticed that I’ve been gone for a good while (around a month). You probably didn’t really wonder where I had gone off to. Well, I’m going to answer these non-existent questions of yours.

I’ve remade Operation: Strife from the ground up. No more crappy UI. No more buggy mechanics. No more bad handling. No more blocky arms, in fact.

I present to you… well, still Operation: Strife. Just remade so it’s five times better.

Let’s get into this devlog, shall we?

If you’re new here I have a series of these devlogs. Go check them out!

Devlogs

• Devlog 1: FPS Game Devlog | #1 - Starting Out
• Devlog 2: FPS Game Devlog | #2 - Deploy System and More Guns
• Devlog 3: FPS Game Devlog | #3 - Reloading and Other Stuff
• Devlog 4: FPS Game Devlog | #4 - Reload Anims (kinda), Updated Deploy UI, and more!
• Devlog 5: FPS Game Devlog | #5 - Another UI Update, Ragdolling and more!
• Devlog 6: FPS Game Devlog | #6 - Random Spawning, Updated Deploy Screen, Bug Fixes and more!
• Devlog 7: FPS Game Devlog | #7 - New Deploy System (again), Knifing, MP7 Gun, and More!
• Devlog 8: FPS Game Devlog | #8 - Knifing Finished, Hitmarkers, Crosshair and Bug Fixes
• Devlog 9: FPS Game Devlog | #9 - C to Crouch, New MAC-10 and M1911, Loading Screen, Bug Fixes and More
• Devlog 10: FPS Game Devlog | #10 - New DYNAMIC Crosshair, Server-side movement (finally), a ton of technical crap, and more!
• Devlog 11 (P1): FPS Game Devlog | #11 (Part 1) - Somewhat Complete Levelling System
• Devlog 11 (P2): FPS Game Devlog | #11 (Part 2) - Finshed XP/Levelling system, new death screen!
• Devlog 12: FPS Game Devlog | #12 - XP on kill, test map and more!
• Devlog 13: FPS Game Devlog | #13 - NEW DISCORD SERVER, Mesh guns, (kind of functional) leaderboard, and more!
• Devlog 14: FPS Game Devlog | #14 - Kill cam, new AUG A2, bug fixes, weapon skin prototype and more!
• Devlog 15: FPS Game Devlog | #15 - Big Announcement, NEW LMG category, new M60 gun, bug fixes, and more!
• Devlog 16: Operation: Strife - Devlog #16 | Bug Fixes, Saving Loadouts (very requested lol), Nerfs and Buffs, New category and more!
• Devlog 17: Operation: Strife - Devlog #17 | Camera Recoil, bug fixes, bolting and more!
• Devlog 18: Operation: Strife - Devlog #18 | Test place, nerfs, buffs, and a big announcement
• Devlog 19: FPS Game Devlog | #19 - Attatchments!
• Devlog 20: FPS Game Devlog | #20 - Custom chat UI, chat tags and more!
• Devlog 21: FPS Game Devlog | #21 - Chat Tags, Credits, Monetisation and more!
• Devlog 22: FPS Game Devlog | #22 - New Dynamic Crosshair, New Deploy UI and more!
• Devlog 23: FPS Game Devlog | #23 - New BURST mechanic, New P90 and Five-seveN, Votekicking system and more!
• Devlog 24: FPS Game Devlog | #24 - Animations galore (for real this time), Sights, minimap, MG42 and more!
• Devlog 25: FPS Game Devlog | #25 - The Biggest Update So Far
• Devlog 26: FPS Game Devlog | #26 - Gun Game, Map Update and more
• Devlog 27: FPS Game Devlog | #27 - Rank Unlock Guns, new round system, new map voting system, inspect animations, new guns, and more!

Overview

Essentially, I remade the game from the ground-up. It’s much more optimised than the crappy code I originally wrote and it allows for much more customisation.

This might shock some of you - we now have realistic arms. Yeah, you heard that right. I’m trying to go for a realistic style here so I thought I’d experiment with realistic view-models.

New weapon handling and loading system

I’m going to be honest here - the first version of the game didn’t have separate view model and guns. Each weapon model had its own arms. Yeah, bad optimisation, I know.

Now, I’ve finally learnt that Motor6D’s are a thing, so I don’t have to go through the lengthy process of adding arms in when I want to make a new gun. :sweat_smile:

These beautiful objects are the base of my game.

in this beautiful image screenshotted by yours truly, you can see that the weapon model is fully rigged and ready to go.

New UI

I say this all the time, but my old UI was horrendous. Legend says people could catch all sorts of diseases, just by glancing at it. So, I revamped it.

It now goes for more of a minimalistic style and actually might not make your eyes bleed (10% success rate, 1/10 doctors recommend).

You might have noticed the new weapon silhouettes. I’m proud of them. heh

Obviously the UI will continue to be updated from time-to-time to make it less damaging to your eyes.

Sprinting and crouching

I think this may have been one of the most requested features to be added to the game. So, I added it because I was bored. It may or may not have taken me three hours to work out how to make the crouching system

Crouching

Sprinting

Other changes

• FPS counter, wow pog :PogU:

• Bolt now actually moves when you shoot for added realism B)

• New muzzle effects including smoke

• New “Play Legacy” button if you want to play the old version for whatever reason

• aHAHAHAHAHAH ADSING IS BACK

• Loading screen

I tried my very best to condense a month’s worth of work into one small dev-log! If you want the full experience you better play the game yourself.

Join my comms server on Discord (server invite code is 5pc3tb2Zab) if you haven’t already!

Credits for contributors and stuff

@FrigidYeti for building the office map in-game and constantly working on it as well lmao, also posting bug reports

@dominik4242 for building the mall map prototype

Feedback in the replies would be appreciated.

Join comms server: 5pc3tb2Zab

25 Likes

Hello one question,

Are you using free assets for hands and guns??

If yes can I know where did you get that from?

As i am also experimenting with making fps games and i am trash at modeling so it would be nice if i can get placeholder models which i can replace once i can hire modelers

1 Like

The guns are baseline ACS models with a bit of retexturing and recolouring by me. Honestly you should learn how to model even though I can barely do it myself so I don’t know why I’m recommending it to you

1 Like

They want to know if they were made by hand or not.
Sheesh.

@iceking_gfx you might need to hold me up on my promise of making a map, I literally haven’t made progress lol

I should make a trello board or smthn

2 Likes

I checked out the game, its really good in my opinion. Although its kind of hard to be in the menu without getting killed when theres multiple people in a server, that doesnt really matter if your fast enough though. keep up the good work!

1 Like

I recommend adding a menu for keybinds

so you can change it’s settings or see how to do certain things

2 Likes

I love how the game works and is very realistic, only 1 thing I would recommend fixing.

When aiming with the deagle it seems a bit slanted, maybe make it straighter yknow.

Otherwise I like it!

1 Like

I was thinking of doing that. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This is actually quite good! Looking forward to game being released!

2 Likes

THE LEGEND IS BACK!!! only thing i gotta say is that viewmodel holding the gun just looks WEIRD

2 Likes

Which gun? 3000000000000000000000000000

1 Like

uh, pretty much all of them lol

Can you tell me how it looks weird? I wanna improve the posing lol

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 1.19.16 PM
the fingers are not grabbing the handle (the ones that go to the trigger) and the thumb ain’t grippin tight enough for all of them. sometimes the fingers go inside the gunScreen Shot 2021-06-05 at 1.19.58 PM
do those hands not look weird?

I guess but I can’t really deform the mesh like I would be able to in Blender. I could try to make it a bit more realistic though

1 Like

I fixed the issue of being killed before deploying. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

You don’t have to make a map for the game - don’t feel obliged to have to contribute! your choice if you want to make a map or not, if you don’t feel like it or don’t have the time then don’t worry

2 Likes

This is pretty good, especially on turned up graphics this game looks sick!

2 Likes

I want to lol
I’m just lazy
So…
Good job on the game, it’s come a long way.

Wow, this looks really great! I do have one suggestion: make it so a headshot takes away more damage. But, I think it is spectacular how you made this incredible-looking game— here on Roblox.

1 Like