FPS Game Devlog | #26 - Gun Game, Map Update and more

Quick disclaimer - please don’t tell me to move this to another category. I’ve posted devlogs multiple times in cool creations since they’re meant to be fun and interactive with the community pitching ideas as well as giving feedback and things like that.

Wow, I’m back again! 2 weeks seems like a long time…
This update was mainly about fixing all the bugs I managed to add last update and adding a few new cool things, including a new gamemode.

Comms server invite code :smirk: is 5pc3tb2Zab

If you’re new here I have a series of these devlogs. Go check them out!

Devlogs

• Devlog 1: FPS Game Devlog | #1 - Starting Out
• Devlog 2: FPS Game Devlog | #2 - Deploy System and More Guns
• Devlog 3: FPS Game Devlog | #3 - Reloading and Other Stuff
• Devlog 4: FPS Game Devlog | #4 - Reload Anims (kinda), Updated Deploy UI, and more!
• Devlog 5: FPS Game Devlog | #5 - Another UI Update, Ragdolling and more!
• Devlog 6: FPS Game Devlog | #6 - Random Spawning, Updated Deploy Screen, Bug Fixes and more!
• Devlog 7: FPS Game Devlog | #7 - New Deploy System (again), Knifing, MP7 Gun, and More!
• Devlog 8: FPS Game Devlog | #8 - Knifing Finished, Hitmarkers, Crosshair and Bug Fixes
• Devlog 9: FPS Game Devlog | #9 - C to Crouch, New MAC-10 and M1911, Loading Screen, Bug Fixes and More
• Devlog 10: FPS Game Devlog | #10 - New DYNAMIC Crosshair, Server-side movement (finally), a ton of technical crap, and more!
• Devlog 11 (P1): FPS Game Devlog | #11 (Part 1) - Somewhat Complete Levelling System
• Devlog 11 (P2): FPS Game Devlog | #11 (Part 2) - Finshed XP/Levelling system, new death screen!
• Devlog 12: FPS Game Devlog | #12 - XP on kill, test map and more!
• Devlog 13: FPS Game Devlog | #13 - NEW DISCORD SERVER, Mesh guns, (kind of functional) leaderboard, and more!
• Devlog 14: FPS Game Devlog | #14 - Kill cam, new AUG A2, bug fixes, weapon skin prototype and more!
• Devlog 15: FPS Game Devlog | #15 - Big Announcement, NEW LMG category, new M60 gun, bug fixes, and more!
• Devlog 16: Operation: Strife - Devlog #16 | Bug Fixes, Saving Loadouts (very requested lol), Nerfs and Buffs, New category and more!
• Devlog 17: Operation: Strife - Devlog #17 | Camera Recoil, bug fixes, bolting and more!
• Devlog 18: Operation: Strife - Devlog #18 | Test place, nerfs, buffs, and a big announcement
• Devlog 19: FPS Game Devlog | #19 - Attatchments!
• Devlog 20: FPS Game Devlog | #20 - Custom chat UI, chat tags and more!
• Devlog 21: FPS Game Devlog | #21 - Chat Tags, Credits, Monetisation and more!
• Devlog 22: FPS Game Devlog | #22 - New Dynamic Crosshair, New Deploy UI and more!
• Devlog 23: FPS Game Devlog | #23 - New BURST mechanic, New P90 and Five-seveN, Votekicking system and more!
• Devlog 24: FPS Game Devlog | #24 - Animations galore (for real this time), Sights, minimap, MG42 and more!
• Devlog 25: FPS Game Devlog | #25 - The Biggest Update So Far

Map Update

@FrigidYeti has made a blockout of the new Office map - looks really lit if I do say so myself.

For now, this’ll be in the game until he finishes the full version. There’s a 50% chance you’ll get either this or the legacy office map.

New gamemode - gun game

I’ve made a buggy rip-off of Counter-Strike Gun Game. Honestly it’s still not really playable yet but you can see if you can have a good time on it.

I’ll probably just add it all into the main game later but for now it’s in a seperate place.

Still a lot of work to be done before it’s perfect, I’m working on it. You can join by clicking the deploy button and then clicking “Gun Game”.

Preview:

Animation revamps and/or updates

Yeah, my old animations essentially were whipped up in an hour or so. I’ve made them much better (I think) now.

AUG animation

AK47 animation (still looks kinda ass)

Other changes made

• Blood particles now show on player’s body when damaged.

• Clicking deploy button now shows a list of gamemodes (currently only Standard and Gun Game, probably will just scrap this and add all gamemodes into the main game)

• Some lighting changes to make the game not look ass

• Notification that pops up when you join telling you to raise your graphics quality if it’s too low.

• Levels and XP are now in the progression tab (press Progression on the main deploy screen)

• Camera now zooms in when sprinting

• Other changes that were too minor for me to add here.

Pictures and videos

Join my comms server on Discord (server invite code is 5pc3tb2Zab) if you haven’t already, thats it for this devlog!

Credits for contributors and stuff

@FrigidYeti for building the office map in-game and constantly working on it as well lmao, also posting bug reports

• Fat Robin#7422 on Discord for working on an unreleased map and also for posting bug reports

You can play the beta version here: Operation: Strife - Roblox

Feedback in the replies would be appreciated.

Join comms server: 5pc3tb2Zab

24 Likes

the animations feel too linear smh

4 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by linear?

1 Like

The animations look a bit robotic, especially the reload. Try to make the arms transition more naturally between each keyframe. Other than that the game looks quite nice!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’m honestly not sure how to make my animations look more natural or realistic in an animation plugin such as Moon Animator (what I’m using right now) since it doesn’t have things like dope sheets, graph editors etc.

I don’t use Blender for animations since it causes me a lot of ass pain when I try to import my gun rig (although I do have previous knowledge of Blender animation with other rigs).

Do you have any tips for people using Roblox animation plugins?

1 Like

Try to keep the arms moving consistently and fluid most of the time. I notice in your animations that sometimes the arms pause slightly for a moment and then continue moving. It makes the animation look “linear”.

2 Likes

that’s what I mean
the reload is like
its like a robot
its like in the linear easing style
look at real reloads and you’ll see what I mean

if you animate in blender it’ll be better
moon animator is good too
roblox animator is last place

1 Like

I actually used Quint InOut for most of the kf’s. I can’t really use blender because of loads of technical issues but I’ll try and replicate some real reloads.

2 Likes

I suggest using OutIn instead, and instead of quint maybe you should try using expo

2 Likes

not sure if it’s possible to but maybe you can make the animations look better by adding smoothing or whatever it’s called, like quad, bounce, etc

1 Like

It’s looking pretty good. Animations could use a little more fluidity but everything else seems fine.

My only suggestion is to modify the minimap. From the images and videos that you’ve shown, it seems like the player icon in the minimap rotates relative to your point of view. However, I think it’s much better to have the minimap space rotate relative to your point of view without having the player icon move. It makes player orientation better and leads to less confusion. Most FPS games with minimaps do it this way.

2 Likes

So you mean instead of the actual icon moving, the background moves?

1 Like

against all my principles I have not lifted a finger to work on any map for your game. I need help with my lazyness lmao

1 Like

It looks great, good job. :+1:

1 Like

Yes. That is much better because it wouldn’t get players confuse on their positioning and where they need to look when they spot an enemy.

1 Like

Actually, the minimap only shows yourself since if it showed the whole servers locations it would be equivalently ESP

1 Like

Wow, looks good so far. Maybe add a ragdoll-type system, and a better blood system.

2 Likes

Guns look really good! I will make sure to check the game out once it’s released! :star_struck:

2 Likes

The mini map should show allies and spotted enemies (if you want to implement some sort of spot system. Personally I’d recommend it.)

2 Likes

You did a really good job in making this!

2 Likes